Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Next upgrades?

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Powerstoke_Fan 
#1 ·
I'm kinda stuck as to what upgrade to do next. Like my signature says, I've done an intake, BTM muffler on a stock exhaust, SS HPX, and gauges (still gotta get boost). Im stuck between upgrading the exaust to 4" or 5", or doing a chip (I've already decided on PHP). Will the chip work fine with the stock exhaust with the BTM? :shrug:

#3 ·
I would recommend the Exhaust and boost gauge before the chip also. You can do the chip first if you really want to but in the higher HP programs EGT's might be an issue.

#4 ·
What are you're goals for the truck? Do you tow alot? I don't think the exhaus will be an issue if you're just going to go with some tunes. If you have plans of bigger injectors and turbo, then it's pry worth doing the exhaust now. But I don't know how to do things right. LOL

#6 ·
I use the truck as a daily driver, for plowing snow and towing a 24' boat, a little bit of everything. The motor is gonna remain stock. I have no plans for a bigger turbo or any internal work. I'm looking to keep this truck for a long time. What I am looking for is power and better mileage without sacrificing reliabilty.

#8 ·
Here is the thing IMHO-

Exhaust - $500 - 20-30hp, maybe? No gain in MPG, and very little satisfaction/dollar. You already have a muffler, so you probably have the sound you're after. Your EGTs aren't a problem on the stock tune, and never will be, so the exhaust is just laying a foundation for future modifications, of which yours will be basic and don't need a full exhaust to truly benefit from.

Tuner - 100hp. MPG gains depend on your right foot, and the tuner. Instant gratification. With a close eye on your EGT gauge, you can really, really enjoy every dollar you spent. Towing will be a pleasure with the additional power. Spend $30 on a boost gauge that reads up to 35psi and be on your way. Enjoy the new power, no regrets.

I still haven't put an exhaust on the truck and I have 250/200 injectors, a tuner and an intake. My EGTs are completely under control.

If anyone had $500 kicking around and wanted to put something on the truck, I always start with a tuner. It will satisfy the need for more power. It will open your eyes to the potential performance of the truck, and either make you want more, or just leave you with a perma grin.

If you wanted to throw a grand at it... then tuner and meth. lol. Or Tuner and exhaust.

#10 ·
I wasn't gonna spend alot of crazy money on an exhaust. I found an AFE 4" turbo back system for $239 shipped or a 5" turbo back for $339. I thought that was very reasonable, but if I don't need it, I would rather spend the money elsewhere.

The stock exhaust with the BTM seems to flow pretty well. I actually get comments on the turbo whistle people hear out of it. The egt's run nice and low now, even pulling the boat. I just want to protect the motor when I chip it.

#13 ·
In my opinion that stock down pipe is the issue. After you chip it I think you will want the exh. I got my Diamond eye for $280. It fit really well. Was an easy install.

#11 ·
The 4" turbo back will be all that is necessary, if your unsure about which course of action to take then call Bill at PHP. Since he will be making the custom tunes for your setup he will know what you need.

#12 ·
The nice thing about having the gauges installed first is that you will be able to see the difference in each of the mods you make.

#14 ·
Personally I couldn't pass up going for the chip in your position. Having replaced the stock muffler with the BTM you have removed the greatest restriction on the exhaust. ( Next would be the down-pipe as Tbolt stated and last the rest of the piping.) When you are ready just get the whoe 4" back system.

Bill is the granddaddy of tuners:D. I haven't run his tunes personally but his rep is awesome. Thinking about it I guess I was running some of his old tunes on my old 99 that had an Edge, for a time, a number of years ago, which was back when he was working for them. That chip with Bills tunes are going to make the largest difference than any other mods you will without turbos / injectors and it will be a huge. You should get a good pop in mpg when you are not enjoying the extra power;) Throttle response will be improved ans will trans shifting. What is nice is if there is something you do not like or is not quite right. A phone call and tweak to your tune and it can be adjusted. I would be getting a boost gauge soon.

As you plan on staying stock with stock turbo etc.. You may want to take a look into at this manual waste gate controller sold by Bob at Dieselsite. The stock ones have weak springs ans work off boost to work. Issue is the springs are notoriously weak and that tends to let the gate be slightly open even if you remove the red tube. Also with the red tube off the turbo can achieve boost psi that will greatly shorten its life. Anything over 28 psi is a waste. With the mechancial control I linked to it the gate will stay sealed shut until it hits the preset boost you set it for. You can set if for 28 psi and that will ensure you are getting the most from your turbo but not overly abusing it. You need to get that boost gauge though.

As you mention towing heavy you should look into getting one of the 31 row 6.0 trans coolers. Take a look at the BTS valve body. Money well spent IMO and will help with all driving. If you do get one make sure to tell Bill encase any part of tunes need adjusting

#15 ·
No question get your chip.as tarm said tour exhaust is good, coukd be better,
But that has its quarks too..3.5 dp or 4.

Dieselsite great stuff, coolant filter, adrenalin hpop, and the trucool trany cooler are my favs.

#16 ·
If you decided to go with a bigger exhaust id reccommed to save the extra money and go with the 4in. For what your saying your wanting to do 5in would be bigger than what you need. you could spend the money on something else to go along with it. just my .02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.