DPF/EGR questions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

DPF/EGR questions

Not new to diesels, but incredibly new to performance related stuff.I have a 2010 6.4 powerstroke FX4. 90k on the motor. I am very interested in removing the DPF and EGR to help the truck perform better, but am not interested in big HP gains. I thought any tuner you could plug in and just go, but I called a local shop today, and he advised me that after I buy the tuner, I will then have to track down a shop to buy the actual tunes or software and THEN run them in my trucks computer. I have a limited budget and found the Gearbox 4.0 I believe its called and was wondering if that unit comes preloaded with delete tunes or any other brands that come preloaded with delete tunes. That tuner is literally $280 right now brand new. If by some miracle it does come loaded and I just need to literally plug it in and follow the prompts, what else will I need to do beside add the delete pipe under the truck. Thank you all in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:05 PM
sooty

Re: DPF/EGR questions

I've got a used H&S XRT Pro which is some of the best box tuning for these trucks. Plug it in and follow the prompts. All you would need to do is install straight thru exhaust pipe. 425.00 USD shipped.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 04:04 AM
PSN Newb

Did a DPF/EGR delete a while back. Got to thinking a couple days ago and I'm looking for input before I try something. I have an extra 25 row Mishimoto cooler sitting around. I did the block off plugs for the EGR coolers and I was wondering if it would be of any benefit to run the coolant supply from the EGR through the Mishimoto cooler and back through the return inlet that would normally come from the vertical EGR? I'm Wondering how much it would bring down coolant temps if at all. Any thoughts on this idea or anyone ever tried something similar?

2008 F-350 King Ranch 172" 4X4
6.4 Diesel
Running 4" complete exhaust, H&S Mini Maxxx, Sinister Intake Elbow, AFE Filter.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 10:48 AM
Professional American, guarding our constitution. Gone, but not forgotten.

H&S are the pin in the grenade of a 6.4.... Try calling customer service, there ain't none because they got voted off the island for being junk. Their tunes messed with valve timing too much and ended up destroying motors then the EPA went after them and they ratted on everyone they sold product to. Bye!

Your problem is gonna be finding delete-capable tunes in the aftermath of Obama's environmental campaign. Given the mileage of your truck I'd advise against tuning it now because of the radical change it'll undergo and things going wrong because of it but since you're not looking to go radical with boosted launches and driving like an ass then you'll probably be okay, as long as you can resist letting that genie out of the bottle. It ain't easy, a 6.4 wants to gooooooo.

There are a few tune writers out there that still produce delete tunes and if all you're looking to do is remove the potential for disaster by ridding the thing of useless......weight then go for it. Those EGR coolers are disasters waiting to happen. They rupture inside and 8 gallons of coolant becomes steam that lift the heads real purdy like so you'll be doing yourself a favor. The DPF is like stuffing a potato in the exhaust pipe so once gone it'll breathe way better.

Only problem is finding "off-road only" or "race only" tunes nowadays. Everyone is scared of Big Brother so that might be a challenge.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:40 PM
PSN Newb

I am in the process of going back to stock from a dpf delete. I have the DASHDAQ XL. The shop I went to said to unplug the system once the Cat and DPF were back on. Has anyone heard of this? (There were problems blowing to much smoke through system )Secondly is there a shop out there that works with DASH DAQ by Drew technologies Thanks
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:51 PM

I don't know that name for tuning but take a serious moment to think about the merits vs liabilities of re-condomizing a 6.4. How many miles did it run free for? By going back to emissions-compliancy is akin to shoving a tennis ball in the tailpipe of a car.... That motor knew what it was like to be able to breathe and you go and choke it again, kaboom.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:53 PM

Addition...

All the tuners I know of have a "return to stock" option. I'm sure it's simple once you click enough buttons
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 01:20 PM
PSN Newb

I appreciate it. Tough EPA laws on Diesels here in Colorado.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:43 PM
PSN Newb

If anything to attempt a emissions test is empty dpf pipe. You’ll get the sensors, correct codes, everything needed to pass just a hollow pipe. As everyone else. DPF reinstall is a huge no go for the 6.4s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode