Up pipes - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Up pipes

Is there a way to replace the up pipes without raising the cab I’m fixing to do a egr delete and replace up pipes so any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:55 AM
PSN Newb

Are you install oem up pipes or upgraded? If you are installing upgraded pipes WITHOUT the EGR branch they slide in fairly easily cab on from underneath/through the wheel well. I always remove both wheel wells and spray the #### out of the bolts. The top bolts I access with a long ratcheting box wrench from the driver side behind the turbos (you need to get skinny and your arms will get torn up!) the lowers are accessed through wheel well/underneath with a 1/4” ratchet and socket, swivel sockets do a world of help. The oem up pipes, to remove them I use a sawzall to cut off the egr branch and slide them out. It’s pretty cut and dry, biggest bitch is the top bolts but I’ve done about 30 trucks this way and takes me about an hour for complete replacement.. the first go at it took about 6 hours in all honest to figure out my best method. Good luck and RIP arms/knuckles!
Mr_Andy likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:56 AM
PSN Newb

Might I add, I’ve done all this with the trans in, however removing the trans would make it a hell of a lot easier. Just food for thought but I’m lazy so I never took the time to drop the transmission.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:30 PM
PSN Newb

I might need to do this also so what aftermarket up pipe would you recommend? Thanks
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:33 AM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage
Re: Up pipes

AFE makes some. Flo-Pro does as well. BD makes a whole up pipe kit with upgraded 6.0 high flow exhaust manifolds too.

Shoulda bought a Cummins.

1997 F250 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 315K, TS chip, BD Turbo-Thruster II, Donaldson 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit SOLD

1995 F350 CCLB 5.8L XLT Tan leather interior. Soon to be swapped onto a 6.0 frame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:25 PM
Ahab's white whale

I'm just completed a turbo back exhaust and up-pipe replacement. In fact I'm putting the tires on tonight. I raised the cab 6" to remove the down pipe. You may be able to remove the up pipes with a sawzall. It's gonna be tight threading the new pipes into the correct location. At a minimum, whether you raise the cab or not, you will need a 1/2" drive 24" flex head ratchet with a quality 10mm deep set socket. I suggest an impact socket. These two items will be required to remove the up pipe to turbo flange connection bolts. Use the hell outta Youtube, before you get started. There are several great videos for this swap out.

I shoulda been a cowboy. . .

2008 White Ford F350 Crew Cab, long bed, dually, 4WD, 5" Flo-Pro turbo back, GPP 6.0L exhaust manifolds, hi-flow up pipes, Patriot Command Center 275, w/tweaks, S&B cold air intake.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:09 PM
PSN Newb

Thanks guys just getting my delete kit together and do my up pipes after... Or might wait another month and do my up pipes before i delete... Thanks again fellas
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:37 PM
Luddite in Charge

If you don't need the truck on a daily basis just nail it all at once.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 03:27 AM
PSN Newb

Thanks andy its my daily driver to work....so i might jus keep my delete in the package til i have enough funds for the up pipe too... Lol man cant wait
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:55 AM
Luddite in Charge

Figure on some time then for those up pipes. You can finesse them in cab on but it ain't gonna go smooth or quick. Old ones out with two cuts from a sawzall. New ones in with a lot of beer and patience. Hope you've got a few swivels for your ratchet extensions. Passenger side worse than drivers side.

Doing that job cab on is why they make Valium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode