Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Won't shift into OD when cold

7K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Coltaine 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 4x4 auto. Since it has gotten colder here first thing in the morning (even after sitting and "warming up" for 5-6 minutes) it will not shift into OD for another 4-5 minutes. It was recently rebuilt by a local Trans shop.
I took it back to them, When scanned they told me the solenoid packs were failing. they replaced the solenoids....
Well 4 days later and it still has the same issue.
any thoughts?

#2 ·
Are you sure it's not just the torque converter not locking?

I don't know if it's all years or not but I know some of them won't lock the converter until the fluid gets to a certain temp possibly 60 degrees I can't recall the spec for sure.

When it's good and cold out mine won't lock until it gets about a mile down the freeway. Tranny isn't going to warm up very fast just sitting in park with the motor running.

It still shifts to OD but the converter doesn't lock in any gear until it warms slightly.

#6 ·
:whs: my early 99 does that, always has.

#9 ·
It's a saftey feature program into all manufactures O.D. Trans, all the way back into the early 90's.

#12 ·
Mine does not go into OD when it is cold either, takes about 5 miles. It is also a rebuilt. I read on another forum that it is normal, but now I can't find where I read it. The response was from a Ford tranny tech.

#15 · (Edited)
If i had the capability to video it I would.
Staying at 55 miles per hour and turning the OD off at the column shifter does NOTHING.

It does not down shift.

Rpm does NOT change.

The only time(s) it has happened has been when it has been below 35 degrees. Getting ready to go to Boston so it will be that temp pretty much every morning.

#17 ·
Sounds normal to me. All the E4OD's and 4R100's i've been around have done that when cold for the first couple of miles

#20 ·
I live in the area you are heading, and what you have is a normal tranny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.