Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Urea on 08...

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Big Angry Hillbilly 
#1 ·
I know, I know.. WHY:doh:

with a broken hand, I have lots of couch time for the past four weeks.

so really, why won't a company make an urea injection kit for the 6.4's.
even if i had to keep the DPF on, i'd be interested simply because the new 6.7's are getting great mileage.

please don't hate me for posting this thread, just curious IF it'd even be possible...

#4 ·
Urea is used in SNCR and SCR reactions to reduce the NOx pollutants in exhaust gases from combustion from diesel, dual fuel, and lean-burn natural gas engines. The BlueTec system, for example, injects water-based urea solution into the exhaust system. The ammonia produced by the hydrolysis of the urea reacts with the nitrogen oxide emissions and is converted into nitrogen and water within the catalytic converter.

wikipedia lol, not bashing just helping with the explanation

#8 ·
I think largely the reduction of EGR operation is a large part of the increase in fuel economy.

The reduction of NOx by the addition of urea allows for less EGR operation to attain the same reduction of NOx...

I think it would be very cost-prohibitive to add a urea injection system to a vehicle not originally equipped with one, and that's just to add the system alone, that's not getting into the management/control of the urea injection system along with management/control of the existing powertrain controls to ensure compatibility between the two systems.

Edit: As an afterthought -- you're also adding the cost of buying the urea itself to add it to the vehicle, on top of components and integration to the vehicle.

And if you wanted to get right down to it, it'd more than likely be considered "tampering" to add it to a vehicle not originally equipped. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.