09 rear dust shield / backing plate - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Luddite in Charge

09 rear dust shield / backing plate

Does anyone know of a kit with everything to replace the dust/splash shield on a SRW 350?

I've been putting together a list, separately I've got the backing plate, e-brake shoes, hardware kit, hub seal, axle seal, umm.... what am I missing.... well, that's why I'm asking if ABC Auto or someone on fleabay threw together everything in one deal.

Ford realized their dumb design and offer a plug n play backing plate with new e-brakes and hardware for $400 but that's all OEM prices and it's only the backing plate and e-brake, I want it all.

Maybe I should rip it apart and see if I need bearings too, why not make this as costly a repair as possible. Hmph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:44 PM
PSN Veteran

The ford one comes with the shoes , hardware, levers, dust shield everything already pre adjusted with the caliper anchor bracket. All else you’d need to buy is the wheel seal and the axle o ring if so desired but I have reused them without issue.

The bearings last a very long time and only usually fail from lack of lubricaion,improper adjustment or if you have HUGE miles

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Re: 09 rear dust shield / backing plate

agreed on the bearings not being an issue
IMO most common cause for bearing failure on the sterling is when the oil slinger fails and wipes out the seal and it is apparent pretty quick
Dustybumpers likes this.

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Luddite in Charge

I'm looking at around $40 for the backing plates, $40's for Wagner shoes, $30 for the hardware, and about
$20 for Timken seals and $40 for Timken bearings and races if I decide to go all in while I have it apart. Why not, right? These prices reflect doing both sides.

Ford can keep their $400 per side junk.

The backing plate has me a little cornfused tho, the king of junk, Dorman, lists a ceramic coated plate for close to $150 whereas everyone else is in the $30-$60 range. I've always intentionally ignored anything with that name on it because they're..... what they are. But I wonder how durable something like that would be, I mean it's just a piece of steel - nothing moves or carries electricity... it serves no purpose other than to stay there and rot while holding the brake hardware together. Hard to convince myself I might want to change my opinion of Dorman but if anyone has experience with them, please enlighten me.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Stick with your gut Dorman always seems to find a way to screw up a part and never get around to fixing the product

to bad stainless is not an option

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:11 AM
Administrator

I would get new oil slingers and of course you already have the special socket

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:06 AM
PSN Veteran

Ahh that’s right you have something else you’re putting money aside for 😆

As far as the dorman backing plates...I have used them before and my truck needs the while cabutle that your doing but I have been procrastinating. They should last a few years at least anyway. When I do then I’ll probably put Dormans on mine. The ford units are definitely expensive
Mr_Andy likes this.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:17 AM
Master BS'er

I use dorman products all the time.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Luddite in Charge

Nothing is higher quality than Dorman valve cover gaskets/harnesses for the 7.3 and *any* sensor they make. Top flight all the way. :lol:

About 10 miles from here is a Dorman..... I guess warehouse, I don't think they actually make anything do they? Anyway ( @wackyman9 ) it's in Colmar if you've ever been all the way up County Line Rd right before you hit 309 and is the size of about three super WallyWorld's.
wackyman9 likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:30 AM
Administrator

2 off the top of my head that ere huge fails

Dorman cam phasers cost many folks their ford motors

Dorman 6.0 oil coolers and the gaskets that went to goo cost plenty of folks a redo

and the sad thing is it takes them forever to fix the issues

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode