6.4 blow by - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

6.4 blow by

Hello there. 2008 6.4 had a glow plug code come up, changed it code still came up. Pit in a new gpcm code code still came back now im going to put on new gp harnesses. With that being said after i put on the new gpcm i noticed smoke coming from my oil fill canister, the hose had come off and i reinstalled it but then i took off the fill cap while the engine was running and there is smoke coming out. Normally i associate that as an engine having blow by. Is this normal for a diesel or am i totally screwed and need a rebuild. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:09 PM
PSN Veteran

That depends on the amount. The 6.4s gave low tension piston rings so there will be some blow by. When it starts spitting glow plug harnesses out you have a problem.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:51 PM
Master BS'er

Re: 6.4 blow by

Yeah, that's normal.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:05 AM
Luddite in Charge

The rings in the 6.4 aren't normal shaped rings we typically see and are used to, they're tapered half way down one edge intended on allowing blowby at idle for emissions dumbness. One of those "Certified Clean Idle" bullchit things. When you get on it tho, the compression blows against that taper and it swells the ring wider and it seats harder. So the old upside down oil cap test isn't as accurate as it is on others.

I always use zero-gap 2nd rings when I build them.. And if you plan on running your 6.4 at all hard note that for when you have to rebuild it. But then it'll last forever.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:10 AM
Luddite in Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewd11 View Post
That depends on the amount. The 6.4s gave low tension piston rings so there will be some blow by. When it starts spitting glow plug harnesses out you have a problem.
Is "low tension" the formal mechanical term for rings that need to be replaced with Mahle?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 01:48 AM
PSN Veteran

the low tension rings they are built with are designed to allow some blow by until there is a load on them. The aftermarket cp20 mahle rings dont have the same design of the factory ones

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:34 PM
Master BS'er

I don't know anything about special rings it uses, but all turbo engines will have quite a bit more blow-by. The hotter the engine, the more end gap is needed. Also the more compression, the bigger the end gap.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode