Looking to purchase a 6.4l powerstroke - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Looking to purchase a 6.4l powerstroke

Good morning all,

I've been searching a bit but would like input from people who have owned a 6.4l. I'm looking at purchasing a 6.4l powerstroke...am I crazy? These trucks really appeal to me. I've had experience with many diesels over my short 30 years from a 6.9l IDI to a 6.0l powerstroke to my current 5.9l common rail. How much work is needed to do typical maintenance on these engines? I've searched a little bit and know that the engine can be pulled with the turbos on and cab on. My old 6.0l was no issue working on it with the cab on. My old Dodge is starting to get old on me. I still owe on it for the next 4 years with 320k on the clock. I know thats not too many miles on the cummins but its more of the 47re that I worry about. The 6.4l is much peppier, has a better transmission, will pull what I need to and rides much but with more luxury then my current truck. Basically, if the 6.4l has emissions in tact should I run or just plan on deleting asap? Talk me out of it with your experience, not hearsay internet BS.

THANKS!

2000 F350 CCLB 7.3, 4x4 AT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:28 PM
PSN Newb

Garage
Re: Looking to purchase a 6.4l powerstroke

Save your money and just get a 6.7. You will be sorry you got the 6.4.

XLT CCSB, 4x4, 3" Downpipe, 4" Exhaust (with CAT delete), 140V IDM Mod, TS6 Position Chip, K&N, Transmission built by State to state transmission in AZ
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIB7.3 View Post
Save your money and just get a 6.7. You will be sorry you got the 6.4.
This is out of the question. I can’t afford a 6.7 at this time.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:08 AM
Luddite in Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatwrangler View Post
This is out of the question. I canít afford a 6.7 at this time.
If you can get an already deleted and tuned 6.4 go for it...

I get chit all the time because of my love for this motor. I agree to some extent that out of the box from stock it's a nightmare with it's radiator and fuel and every other issue. It sucks to have to throw upwards of ten grand at something you just threw a wheelbarrow of money at just to work on more.

That said, by today, I'd be leery of a stock 6.4 having run all these years not unjunked. I have an 08 and an 09, both tuned at the expiration of the warranty and I've not had a single major issue.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:33 PM
Project Shamu

If you can't afford a 2013+ 6.7 (the good years from what I've read), then you definitely can't afford a 6.4's repairs lol.

I know 6.4s can make RETARDED amounts of Hp and Tq, but even in stock form they are not a reliable engine... there's a reason a lot of shops will not work on them anymore, including Ford dealers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1983 F150 SCSB Flareside, 302 w/ AOD Trans

2002 F450 SCFB, 7.3 PSD 2wd w/ 144,000 miles
SOLD
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:13 PM
Luddite in Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Dan View Post
If you can't afford a 2013+ 6.7 (the good years from what I've read), then you definitely can't afford a 6.4's repairs lol.

I know 6.4s can make RETARDED amounts of Hp and Tq, but even in stock form they are not a reliable engine... there's a reason a lot of shops will not work on them anymore, including Ford dealers.
"......but even in stock form....". Should say "ESPECIALLY in stock form.

In what I've thrown into two 6.4's I could've almost bought another truck. But you can get in either of those two trucks, mash the go pedal in 4wd on dry pavement and they'll spin round and round in a smoke filled circle.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:19 PM
Luddite in Charge

To clarify my original "I'd be leery" statement... you can pick up stock 6.4's fairly cheap today. But to make it right you gotta dump some money in it and I don't know how well a motor that was condom-ized for that many years would react to suddenly being able to breathe. Fuel pump, valve train, all of it's weak parts suddenly getting called on to do twice the oomph...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:08 PM
sooty

Higher mile six sevens can be had for what a motor costs in a six four....
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:09 PM
Luddite in Charge

But a 6.4 is 6.7 times what a 6.7 could ever pipe dream of having.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Andy View Post
If you can get an already deleted and tuned 6.4 go for it...

I get chit all the time because of my love for this motor. I agree to some extent that out of the box from stock it's a nightmare with it's radiator and fuel and every other issue. It sucks to have to throw upwards of ten grand at something you just threw a wheelbarrow of money at just to work on more.

That said, by today, I'd be leery of a stock 6.4 having run all these years not unjunked. I have an 08 and an 09, both tuned at the expiration of the warranty and I've not had a single major issue.
Thank you for your input. The two trucks I'm looking at are both deleted & tuned with both also having the radiator replaced and good service history according to the car fax. The problem with a high mileage 6.7 is not being able to get financed. Also, just because I cant afford a decent 6.7 right now doesnt mean I cant afford parts for a 6.4 as I do my own maintenance and repairs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in