6.4 questions issues? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

6.4 questions issues?

Hello all...I haven't been on the board for a long time as I actually switched brands. However I'm now looking at another Ford product. I have been looking at some 6.4 as the 6.7 seems a little out of my price range. My question is out of all the 6.4s I have looked at 80% of them have "new motors" I have been doing some searching on the board and see alot of coolant issues and piston issues among other things. So should I steer clear of a 6.4? I will be using this pickup for a DD it will be a service pickup also so I will have tools etc on all the time...I plan on deleting it with a mild tune nothing big. Any help/suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 02:26 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 6.4 questions issues?

Fwiw, welcome back! I love my 6.4 and use it as a dd. With that being said if you can squeeze out enough scratch for a 12 or newer 6.7 I would do that. I love my truck and it runs well, but if something goes wrong I know it's going to be expensive and time consuming. However, if you do go in the route of a 6.4, search for a job 3 08 or newer due to minor improvements under the hood... Also a big thing to look for is the White Hose connections on the coolant lines and also check the cab bushings bc if they fail on a ford oem radiator, the radiator will most likely fail.. Up pipes are a cab off job and have a 50/50 shot of failure after being deleted and tuned... The best thing I can say is use reputable tunes and programming and hope for the best...

Also if you have access to a monitor/tuner to bring it along for the test drives so you can get a good feel for the oil vs coolant temps for the oil cooler status... Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-2008 Job #3 F250 CCSB 4x4
-Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator
-Peak Fleet Charge Purple Coolant
-SCT X4 Babysitter
-17" XD Addicts
-285 General Grabber AT2's
-Power Service White in the Tank
-Moog Tie Rods and Drag Arm
-Drilled and Slotted Rotors
-GearBoxZ DPF-R 4.0
-Flo-Pro DOC/DPF delete
-MPD CCV Kit
-Injen Evo CAI
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 02:40 AM
PSN Veteran

Garage

Stay away from 08-11 super duty if possible, In my opinion these can be the most costly to repair. Wackyman covered enough of the bad with the 6.4, not saying all are bad, but I like to tell 6.4 owners to have a 10k savings account for when they go down. I include 11 6.7 because of the amount of failures from that year.

2002 F-250 CCSB PSD 4X4, 38R, S&B CAI, Bully Dog GT, 4" Exhaust, 05 head lights and grill, 08 power fold mirrors, tailgate, bumper, tail lights, 2014 chrome steps.
1979 Bronco 4X4, 460, c6, 205
2003 Ranger 2.3 MT 2wd

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyman9 View Post
Fwiw, welcome back! I love my 6.4 and use it as a dd. With that being said if you can squeeze out enough scratch for a 12 or newer 6.7 I would do that. I love my truck and it runs well, but if something goes wrong I know it's going to be expensive and time consuming. However, if you do go in the route of a 6.4, search for a job 3 08 or newer due to minor improvements under the hood... Also a big thing to look for is the White Hose connections on the coolant lines and also check the cab bushings bc if they fail on a ford oem radiator, the radiator will most likely fail.. Up pipes are a cab off job and have a 50/50 shot of failure after being deleted and tuned... The best thing I can say is use reputable tunes and programming and hope for the best...

Also if you have access to a monitor/tuner to bring it along for the test drives so you can get a good feel for the oil vs coolant temps for the oil cooler status... Good luck!

This is exactly what wanted to see... From what I can tell is they run great until something does happen... Then it's expensive... The one I like that I'm looking at now is an 08 with 175 on the clock and a beans new engine w/warranty ...I will definitely keep all things you mentioned in mind when u go look at it

07.5 LMM duramax....yes i made the trek to the darkside....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by codykthekilla View Post
Stay away from 08-11 super duty if possible, In my opinion these can be the most costly to repair. Wackyman covered enough of the bad with the 6.4, not saying all are bad, but I like to tell 6.4 owners to have a 10k savings account for when they go down. I include 11 6.7 because of the amount of failures from that year.
I guess I wasn't aware of the issues with the 11...I know a friend of mine has an 11 and did an oil scan and found more fuel than he liked... So he deleted it and no more issues.... Thanks though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 03:05 PM
PSN Veteran

The 6.4 is well known to "make oil" too if not deleted... Mine did it!

-SCT X4 Babysitter
-17" XD Addicts
-GearBoxZ DPF-R 4.0
-Flo-Pro DOC/DPF delete
-MPD CCV Kit
-Injen Evo CAI
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 05:33 PM
Not "Turnt Up"

I have a job 1 6.4l it was a oil field truck. All regular maint. was done and have all the receipts. Picked it up at 140k on the odo and have about 178 on her now. I will tell you she is a workhorse and all the failures ive had in my 38k in driving her has been because I MESSED UP. lol if you get one ask the questions... have you replaced the uppipes/HPFP/oilcooler/Radiator. these were the biggest failures on the job 1 and 2 trucks. i just recently replaced all of those on mine and she runs great. lucky i have a lift and can do the cab off myself. (can pull the cab off from drive in to cab off in <45min) ive done it 2 times and found a easier and faster way to take it off without taking off everything the manual says to. I cant express enough of dont "turn up" a bone stock truck. go to Powerstrokehelp.com and read Bill Hewitts comments on the 6.4s the next time mine messes up ill be taking it to him for his bulletproofing.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyman9 View Post
The 6.4 is well known to "make oil" too if not deleted... Mine did it!

Sure wish they would make fuel haha
wackyman9 likes this.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGBulldawg View Post
I have a job 1 6.4l it was a oil field truck. All regular maint. was done and have all the receipts. Picked it up at 140k on the odo and have about 178 on her now. I will tell you she is a workhorse and all the failures ive had in my 38k in driving her has been because I MESSED UP. lol if you get one ask the questions... have you replaced the uppipes/HPFP/oilcooler/Radiator. these were the biggest failures on the job 1 and 2 trucks. i just recently replaced all of those on mine and she runs great. lucky i have a lift and can do the cab off myself. (can pull the cab off from drive in to cab off in <45min) ive done it 2 times and found a easier and faster way to take it off without taking off everything the manual says to. I cant express enough of dont "turn up" a bone stock truck. go to Powerstrokehelp.com and read Bill Hewitts comments on the 6.4s the next time mine messes up ill be taking it to him for his bulletproofing.
I guess this confirms some of my hesitation... If I buy one it will really dumb if I spend a whole bunch of money and time... Which unfortunately has been the case with for since the 7.3 until the latter 6.7... Thanks for the input for sure! I've been primarily looking at 08 trucks so I believe they are job 3 trucks? so all I would have to worry about is melting the pistons down? Lol

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 02:25 AM
PSN Veteran

6.4 questions issues?

Not all 08 model years are job 3's. I believe there's a sticky on the 08 build dates and job numbers and the differences between them. It's under 99-current super duty >6.4 technical info > stickies tab!

-SCT X4 Babysitter
-17" XD Addicts
-GearBoxZ DPF-R 4.0
-Flo-Pro DOC/DPF delete
-MPD CCV Kit
-Injen Evo CAI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode