R.I.P. 6.4 STROKER 7/31/09 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

R.I.P. 6.4 STROKER 7/31/09

That's right. Navistar will quit making the 6.4 stroker for as of July 31, 2009, and will sell the engines throughout the end of the year in the super duty lineup.

According to page 14 of the June '09 diesel world I got in the mail yesterday Ford and Navistar reached an agreement to terminate their current engine supply agreement effective Dec. 31, 2009 with engine production stopping July 31 this year, closing the indianapolis engine plant.

Does this mean we'll see the scorpion engine available in Jan. 2010? I hope so. Time will tell unless one of you know more than me (not that it takes much for that.

Not only does this excite me, but according to the following page, GM is planning on offering their mini duramax in the 1/2 ton models for the 2010 model year. Hopefully this means the 4.4 turbodiesel Ford has ready will also be introduced at the same time.

Maybe the site will have to be renamed powerstrokeandscorpionnation.com. hmmmm. might have to work on than one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 06:42 AM
That thing got a Cummins?

Re: R.I.P. 6.4 STROKER 7/31/09

Maybe finally able to get a cummins in a ford? I guess that would make it to easy for ford to finally put the right engine in the best chassis

Ford makes it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, I break it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1996 F350 CCLB 4x4 Broke Built Auto

2000 Dodge 3500 5 Speed 4x4 450k and Counting

2001 Dodge 3500 6 speed 4x4 Fully loaded
post #3 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 06:50 AM
PSN Veteran

The 6.4 is shorter lived than the 6.0 but I am anxious to see the new diesel they will be using

Early 99 F-350 CC LB 6-speed
Turbo, injectors, fuel, clutch, nothing special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuglike View Post
Anyone who stands to pee drives a 7.3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWhoIs View Post
The only brutha you know is the one that's bangin your little sister you cracka.

post #4 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 07:18 AM
BFT
IM OUT!!!

now aint that a b!tch!!! first cali smogs diesels, now this...

he's got a forehead like a drive-in movie theater
post #5 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasty96 View Post
Maybe finally able to get a cummins in a ford? I guess that would make it to easy for ford to finally put the right engine in the best chassis

The replacement for the 6.4 will be the scorpion, built in house, common rail injected V8. 6.7L I believe. I'll have to check to be sure.
post #6 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 07:27 AM
Laces Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Smoker View Post
That's right. Navistar will quit making the 6.4 stroker for as of July 31, 2009, and will sell the engines throughout the end of the year in the super duty lineup.

According to page 14 of the June '09 diesel world I got in the mail yesterday Ford and Navistar reached an agreement to terminate their current engine supply agreement effective Dec. 31, 2009 with engine production stopping July 31 this year, closing the indianapolis engine plant.

Does this mean we'll see the scorpion engine available in Jan. 2010? I hope so. Time will tell unless one of you know more than me (not that it takes much for that.

Not only does this excite me, but according to the following page, GM is planning on offering their mini duramax in the 1/2 ton models for the 2010 model year. Hopefully this means the 4.4 turbodiesel Ford has ready will also be introduced at the same time.

Maybe the site will have to be renamed powerstrokeandscorpionnation.com. hmmmm. might have to work on than one.
thats yesterday's news!!! good thing is, navistar will continue making that motor for a long time to come. sp parts, etc..will always be easy to come by.

p.s. plan on another 4 years before the "scorpion" does anything of value...thats a long wait. but i did hear it should be strong out the box..before the epa has their way with it.

08' F250 4x4 w/ 3:55's
post #7 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Here's a link to some info. I don't know if I believe everything here but 6.7L, +3 mpg over 6.4, 390+ hp, and 720+ tq with compound turbos sounds good to me. It also said something about aluminum, backwards flow heads so the exhaust exits into the valley, shortening the exhaust manifold to turbo distance dramatically. pull off all that emissions crap, and I'd LOVE to see what this baby will do!!
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/03...od-photos.html
post #8 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrpowr View Post
thats yesterday's news!!! good thing is, navistar will continue making that motor for a long time to come. sp parts, etc..will always be easy to come by.

p.s. plan on another 4 years before the "scorpion" does anything of value...thats a long wait. but i did hear it should be strong out the box..before the epa has their way with it.
so when did you find out navistar will end production engines for Ford as of 7/31/09? That's significant enough news that if it were out sooner, somebody should have mentioned it here. It hasn't been set in stone that long, has it? Having said that, I'd love a 6.4. it's a great engine with a lot more legitimate potential than the 6.0 or 7.3. Not dogging the 6.4 here, just excited to see what the in-house engine will do.
post #9 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Village Idiot

GM just issued a statement less than 2 weeks ago that the light duty Dmax had been shelved. I read the official GM statement not some magazine BS that's months behind the times. GM Official Statement

Ford followed right behind them announcing that their light duty diesel was also on hold due to "no sufficient market demand". This one really pisses me off. Ford has done this crap for years. Dodge is right about one thing, "lead, follow or get out of the way". Ford likes to follow. They have the chance to be the first to market with something and they choose to sit on it until the competition forces them to bring it to market. Unbelievable!
post #10 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 12:52 PM
JDG's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to 99F250Smitty

My dad is a tool maker for plastic injected parts, and his company actually had contracts to be making tools for the Ford light duty diesel, and then Ford pulled it all and said it was all on hold.

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode