Air in fuel system - no start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Air in fuel system - no start

All, I was changing the fuel filter on my truck (one on the block, not the frame one). After re-installing it properly & torquing it to spec I cranked it over like a dummy. I forgot to cycle the key and now have air in the system. I have scoured the internet and seen a whole bunch of posts about needing to purge the system. How do I get the air out? I've tried cycling the key a whole bunch and can get it to start for 5-6 seconds every once in a while, but don't want to keep cranking the engine and doing this. I've also tried bleeding via the schaeder valve on the fuel cooler and doing some other "trick" I read about pushing the fuel cut off switch while cranking. Nothing works, I must have a whole bunch of air in there; this sucks Any other ideas of how to get the air out without bringing it to the friggin dealer for a bleed?

I am trying to get the truck running so that I can get on the road for a trip. What a nightmare. Thank you to any who can help!

my truck is a 2008 with the 6.4 PSD.

2006 F-250 King Ranch 6.0L Powerstroke, no mod, bone stock. (RIP - she was stolen from me)

2008 F-250 Lariat 6.4L Powerstroke, bone stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 07:34 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Air in fuel system - no start

Sorry about your luck...When I changed both filters, I cycled the key about 7 times...When you turn the key on, you can actually hear the air bubbling in the lines under the truck

Jeremy

2009 king ranch 4X4
spartan level 3 license
s&b
FLOPRO 5" w/twister & DPF/DOC delete
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Cab on installer

Crack the fitting that has the schreader valve on it and leave it loose and cycle the key a few times. Then start it and once running tighten it up. It makes a mess but that how you bleed it. There is a special tool for this but all the tool does is not make a mess. I've done this method lots. Good luck. Wash the engine bay with some degreaser and water after youve driven the truck for a few mins to get all the air out. Hope this helps.

2008 F350 CCLB
Elite Max-Power turbos are only the start

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

2006 F-250 King Ranch 6.0L Powerstroke, no mod, bone stock. (RIP - she was stolen from me)

2008 F-250 Lariat 6.4L Powerstroke, bone stock
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 06:49 PM
PSN Newb

I have the same problem. Where is this schreader vavle?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:47 AM
PSN Newb

I've changed filters and ran outta fuel as well. I'm posting this because after reading anything and everything related to getting my '08 F-450 6.4 running like it was before the BULLSH*T! Soooo....this is what actually worked for me...first let me save you some time. Certain circumstances call for priming the pump, not this one. The air is already past the pump and I don't care how big you are you're not gonna push fuel through the injectors with your hands....Cycling the key??? Depends on how your problem came about. It doesn't work if you've run outta fuel or you changed both filters and let diesel hit the ground like it was free.....Cracking the lines, I mean, if you know anything about why your truck won't start right now then you know that unless your busting the nut directly over top all the injectors (which would most definitely work if you could put a wrench on them, let alone see the other seven) then yes...waste of time! Soooo....its as simple as leaving your key on for ten to fifteen minutes. Yes, it will start and stop about 4 or 5 times but the end result is me driving my truck in about an hour. I've got three different trucks, same motor and can say that this has worked on all three. If you're reading this then you already wasted at least an hour and any other way will take more than the next hour you'll spend in the comfort of your seat with the hood DOWN! I mean, whata ya got to lose! I sincerely hope this helps someone cause every other method involves several hours, lots of cussing, rounded off bolts, fuel all over the place, dead batteries, well....a bad freakin day!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 05:47 PM
PSN Newb

I just had the same problem
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 06:18 PM
PSN Newb

I just went through this. I unknowingly sucked up a huge amount of air after I reinstalled the tank and air was seeping in thru the sending unit supply hose.

Here's what you have to do if you cant get it to start after introducing air into the upper system (ran out of gas or cranked after opening the lower system for filter, pump, or disconnecting the tank.

Cycling the key and not bleeding the valves all day long WILL NOT GET THE AIR OUT OF THE UPPER SYSTEM. You have to bleed it out thru the valves on the motor.

It can be done by yourself, but keeps your the diesel out of your interior and saves time if you get a helper to turn the key on and off.

First turn the key on and immediately go to the schrader valve located on the drivers side on the fuel cooler. Depress the valve, I used an allen wrench, and caught the fuel with a skinny cylinder. Do this until pure full is coming out with absolutely no bubbles, closing it immediately after the key cycle ends.

Next do the same thing to the bolt closer than the schrader to the firewall, on the fuel cooler as well. Crack open this fitting as you cycle the key. I closed it every time the key cycle ended to make sure no air was going back in.
After you can not see or hear any air escaping with the fuel(this one will make a mess) try to start. I had to do this a few times, bleeding the schrader, then cracking the banjo bolt open, then trying to start. Every time I went back to the valves after trying to crank, there was new air. This became less, until I got all the air out and it started, then stalled. Repeat the bleeding process if it wont start after it dies. it will start and stay running once you have gotten the rest of the air out. Mine smoked like crazy and sounded horrible for several minutes. I took it around the block, let it sit for an hour. restarted, and it was almost back to normal. After another trip, its back to normal.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 05:16 PM
PSN Newb

are the fuel line at the injectors, one time use only
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 06:11 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancher1974 View Post
are the fuel line at the injectors, one time use only
Yes

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode