Another 7.3 Powerstroke Bronco Build - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 245 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Another 7.3 Powerstroke Bronco Build

Hey everyone, this will be my first time posting here although I've gotten a lot of good info off this site over the years. I've posted progress thus far on a Bronco forum for the Bronco side of things and figured it would be worthwhile to do the same on the Powerstroke side

Here's the vehicles I will be using parts off of:

1988 Ford Bronco

2004 F250 frame. This was a 5.4 with automatic transmission extended cab short box

1997 F250 diesel with automatic. I bought this truck at a local Manitoba auction with a salvage title. I don’t know a whole lot about the truck except it was running a veggie oil setup that the previous owner took off, came with an auxiliary idle controller, has a positive air shutoff (for sale), banks intercooler, banks gauges, downpipe and exhaust, and I've never had it running. It cranked but wouldn’t start. It has ~187,000 km

It took a pretty good hit on the passenger side

Select Parts from my early 1999 F250. My daily driver bought it in 2007, stock

What I've got planned for the Bronco:

• Use the super duty axles from the 99 F250 with 3.73 gears. The front is a dana 50 (the 04 had a dana 60 with 4.10's so those axles front and rear are now in the 99). Wanted disc brakes and wheels and tires to interchange between the bronco and 99
• Leaf sprung front suspension (for now). I'll have to see how this will ride and how well the gas leaf springs from the 04 will hold up to the weight of the diesel. Any thoughts?
• Engine: dp tuner (have in the 99 and like it), DIY intake with AFE big boost (have), terminator modded HPOP (should be back from Joey soon), CCV mod (have), reuse the gauges, exhaust with an 08+ stock super duty tip, and intercooler
• RBP 91R in flat or gloss black, depending on paint choice
• 35x20 general grabber red letter tires or Nitto Trail Grapplers
• 97 front end conversion to look like the newer body style
• For paint I'm considering a matte pearl white like the Lamborghini Bianco Canopus with color matched bumpers, grill, headlight bezels. I also have a fab fours rear bumper that I want to put on but will have to modify the bumper or body

The bronco is currently at the lake so I am only able to work on it during the weekends so progress will be slow

The first thing I did was bolt in the rear 10.5. This bolted in with no problems it even looks like the e-brake brackets are the same and same distance from the axle from the 04 to the 88. The speed sensor also plugged right in. Brake lines aren't hooked up but I'll probably be using the booster, etc from the 97 so this can be done at a later time. The frame on the 04 looks like it is about 0.5" wider but the pins fell into the perches with no problems but I will keep an eye on it. One of those things that upon measuring doesn’t seem like it would work but did.

I'll try make a point of taking more pictures with a camera not just my blackberry

I put in the 04 F250 blocks only so I could tighten the U-bolts properly but I gained a couple inches of lift that I wasn’t looking for (used to barely fit in my garage with 35's). I'll have to play with blocks and angles when I see how far back the transfer case will sit. It looks like the rear leafs from the 04 would bolt in but I wasn’t sure how stiff the ride would be compared with the Pro Comp lift leafs I have in right now. The 04 leafs would probably sit about two inches lower but have four thicker leafs opposed to the five thinner leafs on the Pro Comps. Probably just get shorter U-bolts

I thought I should pull the engine before tackling the front suspension

The frame where the front hangers mount looks to be about 1.5" narrower on the Bronco so I'm thinking I'm going to cut the extra width I need off the 04 frame and weld it onto the bronco frame. I have the factory hangers from the 99 without that brace the 04 has so I will be using those. The brace will help for keeping things square when mocking it up. Might also be important to note I've never done any welding so it will most likely be my cousin coming down as he's a welder. For this reason the more that bolts into place the better.

I started getting both engines ready to pull while the tractor was at the lake but since it isn't anymore I will be shifting my attention to the front suspension

Early 99 CC SB, Auto, Dana 60, 4.10's, DP Tuner, 4" MBRP, AFE Stage II, Pre-pump kit, Harpoon mod, T-500, 4.5 Icon Hanger Lift, 20x9 Moto Metal 957, 295/65R20 Toyo AT2 - SOLD

Bronco, 97 7.3, rebuilt 97 E4OD, E99 SD axles, 3.73's, Swamps tunes, Baby Swamps, T-500, Banks IC, 4" Flo~Pro, PMF 3.5" RSK V codes, 20x10 BMF's, 35" Mickey Thompson ATZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 245 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 07:27 AM
PSN Local

Re: Another 7.3 Powerstroke Bronco Build

Going to be a sweet build!
post #3 of 245 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 01:47 AM
Back to Civilian Life!!

Yeah it looks like its going to be a BAMF. I'm subscribed.

2003 F-250 4x4 7.3 liter PSD EXT. cab SB. Wilson 2000 antenna, Uniden PC78 peaked and tuned with a connex 250 Linear Amp.
MODS: BTS Tranny, DIY Tymar, Hypermax 3.5 DP to 5" back, TW tunes, DI's GT38R BB turbo, autometer boost, pyro, trans, water temp a Scangauge and Firestone rear air bags.

post #4 of 245 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 05:04 AM
PSN Veteran

Awesome. So you are using the bronco frame?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 F-250hd d60 swap w/e-locker, shortened wheelbase, 37"s on double beadlocks, oba, 12k winch
1980 300sd Hy35, 3.5"exh, intercooled, Alda removed, pump turned up, 12" front brakes, lowered, bilstiens
2010 fe180 Mitsubishi fuso work truck, 3500lb crane, air comp, bobcat 250 welder, oil tanks
post #5 of 245 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Just another OBS addict

Interesting build compared to how others have done it. Looking forward to see how it comes along.

1995 F250 SCLB 4X4 Auto - '97 D60/10.5" rear, 4.5" PMF RSK/V's, PMF Trac Bars, Sway Bars, MBRP Exhaust, DP F5, Efuel, RRD Diff Cover, Tymar Intake, Isspro Performaxs/Quad Pod, Recon Cab Lights, 05 Lariat SD Steering Wheel
FF250/2's, ARP Studs, Comp Beehives, Smith Bros Pushrods, 1.15 38r, RRD Boost Fooler, 99.5+ Intake, SD 7.3 IC
post #6 of 245 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 04:48 AM
Modded by a Chevy Express

Sweet buildup. That bronco looks great already, it'll get even better.

96 F250 SC/SWB/4X4 XLT Just a 7.3 with a bunch of the usual bolt-on crap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08 F350 CC/LWB/4X4 DRW Lariat
post #7 of 245 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks guys, I chose to use the Bronco frame after seeing a couple done with the obs f250 frame and even a shortened super duty frame, like I was originally going to do, but something always looked off about them. I'm sure there are advantages to doing it that way but I wasn't prepared to spend the money straightening the damaged frame when I already had a straight Bronco frame.

I got around to working on the Bronco this weekend. It was mostly just tearing apart the interior on the 97.

Ended putting the rad support on the bronco
I also cut off the front section of the SD frame to size it up to the bronco frame and see where I will need to cut/weld to graft them together. I cut a larger section than I would need just so I don't find myself wishing I had more to work with. Structurally I'm not sure what technique would result in the strongest bond between the two. The pictures don't really show much but at first glance it looks like this will work out well. I'm also going to have to cut some off the top of the bronco frame infront of the rad support to keep the frame rails a consistend height at the front since the frame rails get taller from the rad support forward. (the markings were a rough guideline and wont be followed)

I've also had some parts come in over the past couple weeks:
For the Bronco

Crank Case Vent Kit. Need to make some sort of filter before this goes on

And parts for 99 which will take some more time away from this project
The pump from the 97 I sent into Jody at Terminator looking like this

Got it back looking like this

This will be going on the 99 and the that pump will go out to Joey again and go on the bronco
Also a pre-pump kit

If anybody has any recommendations for any of these mods please let me know.

Early 99 CC SB, Auto, Dana 60, 4.10's, DP Tuner, 4" MBRP, AFE Stage II, Pre-pump kit, Harpoon mod, T-500, 4.5 Icon Hanger Lift, 20x9 Moto Metal 957, 295/65R20 Toyo AT2 - SOLD

Bronco, 97 7.3, rebuilt 97 E4OD, E99 SD axles, 3.73's, Swamps tunes, Baby Swamps, T-500, Banks IC, 4" Flo~Pro, PMF 3.5" RSK V codes, 20x10 BMF's, 35" Mickey Thompson ATZ
post #8 of 245 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 03:00 AM

You going with electric fuel, or staying mechanical?

I can't see the Bronco frame being a problem. The 250/350 will be a bit thicker in the rail steel, but that's it.

post #9 of 245 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Staying mechanical for now. I'm going with the 'If it aint broken' mentality. I'll be looking into electric fuel when I start seriously considering injectors

post #10 of 245 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 03:22 AM

Here's a thread I saw that uses a 2WD OBS, converted to SD axles with the SD hardware. Might help as far as the frame graft.
2wd conversion - PowerStrokeArmy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/65-project-log-forum/112256-another-7-3-powerstroke-bronco-build.html
Posted By For Type Date
1988 Ford Bronco 7.3 Powerstroke Build by Mush's 99 This thread Refback 12-18-2015 10:04 PM