Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Manual to Auto swap

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  1997F350powerstroke 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i'm thinkin i'm going to swap my zf for an auto but i just have a few questions on it. When you upgrade from a e4od to a 4r100, is that an upgrade just in stock form or should i do that even on a fully built unit? Does it shift better too or anything like that? Also, does my transfer case bolt right up to either of these two? Thanks for any info!

#2 ·
I think the T-Case is universal, but don't quote me on that.

trade ya an auto for a stick:D

#5 ·
Not sure about the OBS trucks but when I went from an auto to a manual the transfer cases had to be swapped out also. The out put shafts from the auto to manual are different. You can just swap out the input of the transfer case but I didn't want to.

#4 ·
im going the same way, supposedly the 4r100 just has better hard parts than the e40d like a steel planetary and steel tail housing. From what i have gathered the built e40d and built 4r100 are the same with the exception of two sensors that i can not remember at the moment.

Tcases I belive they are the same also. I am going to PCS control my trans also

#6 ·
I would be willing to trade but the problem is that i live in Canada and the shipping would be outrageous to anywhere in the States. Although i was thinking that if someone had an auto that they wanted to trade or sell then they could just send it to BTS and i would take a long weekend and pick it up from there. The only catch would be that your truck would be out of service for probably two weeks or so because i would bring the manual tranny down there when i went to pick up the auto. That would be good though because i could take off everything that you would need for the manual like shifter, clutch set-up, crossmember, and probably even transfer case and then neither of us would have to go searching for the rest of the misc items!:ford:

#8 ·
The SD and OBS transfer cases are not interchangeable!

#9 ·
The 4R100 started in the superdutys i believe.

#10 ·
I did this swap in the spring. Not too bad at all once you get all the parts. The t case just matches right up. And I went with a E40d case with 4R100 electronics from BTS. I also run a PCS. But as far as hard parts are concerned, the auto is a bit longer than the ZF so you'll need to address the driveshafts. The front needs to be lengthened and the back shortened a couple inches each. A front automatic driveshaft should be universal to all configurations, you'd just either need to source one, or have them both worked. You'll need a flexplate, and the spacer between the engine and transmission. Also the crossmembers are a bit different as well. I had lines made up and run a cooler with an electric fan in the passenger side fenderwell. And I didnt go through the headache of putting the auto column and shifter in, we just put a B&M floor shifter right over the hole where the 5spd shifter was and it turned out pretty cool. If you could find a donor truck thatd be best but if not this should be all you need if I'm remembering right. And I promise it's worth it. BTS makes a ridiculous trans.

#11 ·
Where at in canada?, looking to do a manual swap myself

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.