Burned my paint - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
BRING DA AMBALAMPS

Burned my paint

Took my badges off and used some rubbing compound to take the last bit of adhesive off the side. Well I guess I got a little too into it and burned through some of the paint and faded it some. I went back and waxed it twice and it's still faded. any idears on what I can do to get it back to normal? wet sand, buff, etc?

2005 CC FX4...compounds and everything else that goes with em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 12:23 AM
Offical Puddle Displacer

Send a message via AIM to pstroke96
Re: Burned my paint

if it wont come back chances are you burned through the clear the only good way to fix that is to re clear the whole panel

Refugee
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 04:37 AM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to userma3648

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstroke96 View Post
if it wont come back chances are you burned through the clear the only good way to fix that is to re clear the whole panel
yup yup if you burned it it needs to be recleared!! if it isnt to back you might beable to buff it but it most likely wont come out

08 6.4 with some goodies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
BRING DA AMBALAMPS

awesome news. thanks guys.

2005 CC FX4...compounds and everything else that goes with em.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 01:03 PM
That'll slow ya down!

I knew a bodyman that used to fix stuff like that. He would put a heat lamp real close to the area to be workd and let it sit for a while. He would then work it with a buffer and 3M rubbing compound, not sure what grit, for a couple minutes and it looked like he would work around the outside moving in to the center like he was moving the clear in and then put the lamp back on it. He would do this several times just doing a little bit between heating sessions. He really could work miracles doing that but he has been at it for 30+ years. Not sure if I would attempt it but if the only other option is to re-shoot the whole panel with clear, might be worth a shot.

e99, cc, sb, 4x4, 6spd, Lariat, super 66 turbo w/ ebp delete from Unlimited, Ceramic clutch, 6 pos from [email protected] Gearhead, 6637, Later style cup holder!!! Finally!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 02:07 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by isky1843 View Post
I knew a bodyman that used to fix stuff like that. He would put a heat lamp real close to the area to be workd and let it sit for a while. He would then work it with a buffer and 3M rubbing compound, not sure what grit, for a couple minutes and it looked like he would work around the outside moving in to the center like he was moving the clear in and then put the lamp back on it. He would do this several times just doing a little bit between heating sessions. He really could work miracles doing that but he has been at it for 30+ years. Not sure if I would attempt it but if the only other option is to re-shoot the whole panel with clear, might be worth a shot.
This would have been a miracle. One you've burned through the clear it's gone. Now your taking rubbing compound ( witch takes off more material, ie the clear) around the area you already took to much off of. Once a clear coat hardens it NOT going to flow back. Post up a pic. If you burned through the clear , your fucted! Would have to be resrayed. Now if you only burned it ( most of the times this happens with eraser tools on white) you SOMETIMES can get away with colorsanding and polishing it out.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 02:34 PM
That'll slow ya down!

It might not have been rubbing compound, could have been some kind of polish but I don't know for sure I just remember that it was made by 3M. I agree with you that it won't "flow", I said "like" he was moving the clear in just describing the motion. I know it's a long shot but I have seen it done. It also depends on the size of the area, won't work on large areas.

e99, cc, sb, 4x4, 6spd, Lariat, super 66 turbo w/ ebp delete from Unlimited, Ceramic clutch, 6 pos from [email protected] Gearhead, 6637, Later style cup holder!!! Finally!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 07:25 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to userma3648

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroke of luck View Post
awesome news. thanks guys.
sorry for the bad news

08 6.4 with some goodies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 02:06 AM
PSN Local

Did u do it by hand? If so I doubt u burnt thru. Most burn occurs on edges and corners is there any shine to it at all?
wax won't bring out stuffing from compound on dark colors.

Like they said post a pic.

2002 F-250 ccsb, 7.3, Auto, 4x4, BDP Tunes, Stealth Drop In, 4" MBRP, 6637, Van turbo WW ATS, Frantz Bypass,Drilled & Slotted Rotors
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 02:55 AM
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"

I would say you did not burn thru it.First off what brand type compound did you use?Second was it by hand?I do buffing and detailing for side money and have for many years.I would have to say it would be almost impossible to burn thru the clear unless you were using sand paper. More then likely you bought some rubbing compound like turtle wax or something and rubed it by hand and scratched the hell out of it and took all the shine away.What you need to do is have a friend or someone with a rotary buffer go over it with some different steps of polish and bring it back.For future referance do not use rubbing compound for this type of stuff. Goo Gone would have done the job just fine.

2004 f250 egr delete,studded,fass 95,suncoast convertor,itp RR,Banks intercooler,58v tuned ficm,Powermax turbo,Matts tunes,6in Icon and 35 toyos 20x12 fuels
Early 99 exlb 4wd-SOLD All Shaeffer oil
Will Iott -8/24/84-7/4/10 "We miss you buddy"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode