Ohio Rust bed fender wells ?'s - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Ohio Rust bed fender wells ?'s

I live in Ohio wher they love to salt.

I have some paint bubbles starting around the wheel wells on the bed. I have some ideas and a plan. I will post what i am planning. I would like any input on my plan good or bad or changes or somthing you would do instead.

I know i should cut and weld but not gonna untill it shows thru or around fender flares. I will be putting on fender flares they are in the basement awaiting paint.

OK here goes.

Wire wheel all bubbles and inner well as best i can to fresh steel.

Coat every thing with Rustolium rust converter. Including inside between inner well and outer skin. I plan on just slinging it all over in ther and letting it run and hope fully getting the pinch real good. If i can get my arm in there i will brush it on. Let it dry real well.

I will brush on a heavy coat of primer. Not sure on type or brand any ideas?

Than I will brush on a heavy coat of paint. I have some Rustolium Hammered black about 2/3 of a quart I was thinking of using. Unless there is somthing better any ideas?

Than get some rubberized undercoating to make it all look nice in the well.

I am brushing every thing to save on masking and cuz i want a thick coat and realy dont care what it looks like as I am putting on flares.

Thanks for reading
Dale.

2000 F350 CC SB Lariate
Afew exstras
All brought together by Tony Wildman
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 12:10 AM
PSN Local

Re: Ohio Rust bed fender wells ?'s

Gonna do the same to my truck, biggest thing is sanding out as much rust as you can, as long as you seal her up good it should be fine.

My plan is sand, rust converter, prime, linex.

97 F250HD PSD XLT Crew - Intake, Chopped Exhuast, Custom Interior
1978 F150 Ranger Lariat 6" Lift, 460, 38.5 Boggers-Broken
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 12:35 AM
Headwind Magnet

I gotta bubble too; ditto on the cut and weld. My plan is to sand, coat with this: POR15, Inc. - Stop Rust Permanently - Repair Gas & Fuel Tanks and then top coat where necessary. Por15 reacts to UV light so it needs a top coat. Otherwise, it is self-leveling so brushing should come out pretty good.
Best,
Jim

2002 F-350 SC/SB/SRW 4X4 auto- Tymar intake, AIH delete, Swamps injectors, Swamps IDM, Dieselsite Coolant Filter,
Bilsteins with a stock ride height.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 11:48 PM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

Guys, the bubbles means the fender underneath is gone, so wirewheeling it will give you holes once you get through the paint. It will be even worse if the fender lip is starting to separate.

Good luck, but I've seen more than enough OBS's like yours and mine to know what's going on. Mine is in worse shape, it had bubbles the last 2 winters, the paint came off this spring, and the fender will soon be see through. It's getting a new bed.

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Headwind Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyred View Post
Guys, the bubbles means the fender underneath is gone, so wirewheeling it will give you holes once you get through the paint. It will be even worse if the fender lip is starting to separate.

Good luck, but I've seen more than enough OBS's like yours and mine to know what's going on. Mine is in worse shape, it had bubbles the last 2 winters, the paint came off this spring, and the fender will soon be see through. It's getting a new bed.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I figure I'm just postponing the inevitable of getting a new bed, but since the labor is free I thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

Best,
Jim

2002 F-350 SC/SB/SRW 4X4 auto- Tymar intake, AIH delete, Swamps injectors, Swamps IDM, Dieselsite Coolant Filter,
Bilsteins with a stock ride height.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 12:03 PM
PSN Veteren

Good luck. I'm from Ohio too and my truck is rusted out to. Just waiting for a good deal on a bed.

1997 Ford F-350 350cc injectors 200%nozzles , SRP 1.1 billiet pump, S467, Intercooler, A-1000 custom Fuel system, NOS, TS 6-position Flip Chip, DI pushrods,910's, Gauges, ARP Head Studs, Grand Rock 6" Dual Stacks,Beefed up Tranny, Tuned by Matt Robinson. Work done by Unlimited Diesel
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 12:52 PM
PSN Local

I did the same thing to "temporary" fix the rust. Grind - paint, wait a few months - Grind - paint. It sucks but it does slow it down. My work truck needs a new bed and doors - DAMN SALT!!!!!!!

"It's JUSTa 7.3"

His - 01 F-350 Reg cab 4x4 auto
Hers - 00 F-350 Crew long bed 4x4 auto
Kids - 01 EX Limited
Toy - 97 F-350 Reg cab 4X4 5spd

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 02:54 PM
PSN Local

ya feel your pain.. Im in the same boat. just ordered teh last of my patch pannels for the bed to put on in a few weeks. Bought a panel flanger for this job as i really didnt feel like trying to get the cuts 100% perfect to but weld the pannels. after they are all belded ill take some seam sealer and fill in the seam on the back and undercoat the crap out of it..
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Powerstroked

Me tooooooooo. Hoping to be on the look out for a black OBS shortbed in great shape to put on. What was a bubble last year on the right rear turned into a paint chip'd rust hole last week. And now there is a small bubble on the left rear.

I am just hoping to hold off for a year or 2, find the neccessary parts, do the body work and coat the backside of everything with POR15. And then have the paint resprayed.

97 F250 CCSB
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 07:27 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to userma3648

I am in pa and my bed is the same way! I had one side fixed last year and the other side is doing it now,,,, so I got a new bed this summer! I am just waiting for t to be painted

08 6.4 with some goodies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode