Cleaning carpet and headliner? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Cleaning carpet and headliner?

Gonna be detailing the inside of my truck tomorrow and was looking for a few tips on how to clean the carpet (GOOD!) and the headliner.

I've tried conventional carpet cleaner and it doesn't really work that well, just makes it smell better. Please share some of your tips and tricks on getting the carpet to have that soft clean feeling.

And how to clean the headliner?

99.5 F250, 4x4, Lariat, CC/SB, 4r100 Gauges, Intake, Exhaust, Lots of black/smoked parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltaine View Post
I ride solo, being able to converse with yourself is a skill that creeps up on you.
Black Ops 360
Gamertag; See Ya LATER 73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 11:53 PM
Peon

Re: Cleaning carpet and headliner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinsmoke7.3 View Post
Gonna be detailing the inside of my truck tomorrow and was looking for a few tips on how to clean the carpet (GOOD!) and the headliner.

I've tried conventional carpet cleaner and it doesn't really work that well, just makes it smell better. Please share some of your tips and tricks on getting the carpet to have that soft clean feeling.

And how to clean the headliner?
To do a thorough job on the carpet I'd seriously recommend pulling the seats and interior trim out so that you can steam clean or shampoo it (use the same machine you'd clean your house's carpet) outside of the truck. Doing so will also let you get to all the fabric surfaces of the seats plus that'll be a great opportunity to clean the nooks/crannies in the seat-mounting bracketry that you just can't access while they're still installed in the truck.

For the headliner, I like Adams Carpet/Upholstery cleaner and it's worked well when I've tried to get those mystery stains (hell if I know how they got there or what they are... ) out of the headliner.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 01:14 AM
PSN Local

Ideally, remove the seats and pull the carpet. Wait for a hot sunny day and pressure wash it on your driveway. Wait 2 hours for it to dry and reinstall. Comes out looking like new.

2001 F350 CC SWB 6spd .......currently undergoing a makeover.....stay tuned.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 01:39 AM
Offical Puddle Displacer

Send a message via AIM to pstroke96

i had supprisingly good results with the turtle wax carpet cleaner but my carpet wasnt really bad either but its worth a try

Refugee
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 06:07 PM
NHRDA Diesel TV Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvencius View Post
To do a thorough job on the carpet I'd seriously recommend pulling the seats and interior trim out so that you can steam clean or shampoo it (use the same machine you'd clean your house's carpet) outside of the truck. Doing so will also let you get to all the fabric surfaces of the seats plus that'll be a great opportunity to clean the nooks/crannies in the seat-mounting bracketry that you just can't access while they're still installed in the truck.

For the headliner, I like Adams Carpet/Upholstery cleaner and it's worked well when I've tried to get those mystery stains (hell if I know how they got there or what they are... ) out of the headliner.
I agree. We have mini hand-held steam cleaner we use specifically for vehicles. Little Green®ProHeat
We got the one for "pet messes" because it gets hotter. If you dont want to spend that kind of money, I really like a product that resolve makes. RESOLVE Deep Clean Powder You pour it on, scrub it in, wait for it to dry and then vacuum. Its what I do on the house carpet in between steam cleaning it. I've found that most carpet cleaners for autos specifically don't seem to work as well as things that are marketed for homes and usually you can find something anti-bacterial in the products for homes and since I'm a big germ freak, I like that!

'04 F350. Typical Mods with tuning by Tadd and Eric and Matt.
'06 VW Jetta TDI. Stock. 42mpg

Sticks and stones can break my bones, but Fords with big turbos excite me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenThree View Post
People think I like girls because guys worth my time are as easy to find as crew cab powerstrokes in the 11's.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 06:17 PM
PSN Local

Surprisingly enough, Windex on the headliner has done wonders for me... Soda, Ketchup.....You know all the crap kids can sling on a 3 day roadie! if its just spots, hold it close... soak it... wipe with a paper towel.. My truck and my Excursion interior is tan...no issues, my van is gray.. no issues...... All Fords...
Pressure washer on the driveway for carpet.... everytime.... Ive used dishsoap, laundry soap and carpet cleaners.... I have had even results. (some require WAY more rinseing!!!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 F350 CC 4x4 Flat Bed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3in down pipe 4in pipe by Husker Performance Treadwright 285's

03 Excusrion 6.0
Road Armor Front

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 05:02 AM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to userma3648

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvencius View Post

this stuff works very very well

08 6.4 with some goodies
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 09:43 PM
Jack Ken

Do the powerwashing idea works GREAT!! Ive seen some nasty carpet look new again!

2003 Exursion 7.3 diesel exhaust, intake, ts chip, banks exhaust housing, big head actuator all sittin on 20s w/ 35s.
1989 F350 460 propane, 4inch lift 39.5s
1988 bronco ii 2.3 turbo motor on propane
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Just how hard is it to pull the carpet?

Seems like way more work than i wanna do for an 11 year old truck

99.5 F250, 4x4, Lariat, CC/SB, 4r100 Gauges, Intake, Exhaust, Lots of black/smoked parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltaine View Post
I ride solo, being able to converse with yourself is a skill that creeps up on you.
Black Ops 360
Gamertag; See Ya LATER 73
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:31 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvin_her_stroker04 View Post
I agree. We have mini hand-held steam cleaner we use specifically for vehicles. Little Green®ProHeat
We got the one for "pet messes" because it gets hotter. If you dont want to spend that kind of money, I really like a product that resolve makes. RESOLVE Deep Clean Powder You pour it on, scrub it in, wait for it to dry and then vacuum. Its what I do on the house carpet in between steam cleaning it. I've found that most carpet cleaners for autos specifically don't seem to work as well as things that are marketed for homes and usually you can find something anti-bacterial in the products for homes and since I'm a big germ freak, I like that!
X2 on the Bissel Little green It works wonders !! Buy the solution for the bissel ! If you buy one it comes with some but you will go on a cleaning spree ,I did both seats the carpet and some house furniture.

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode