Thinking of waxing the truck... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thinking of waxing the truck...

I don't know ANYTHING about waxing and need some advice...

What is a good wax to use? preferably something I can buy at a local auto parts store, wally world, etc....

I have a Craftsman waxer (got it for Christmas) with the standard pads that come with it. Are these sufficient or should I get some other pads?

Is there an easy way to prevent the wax from getting on the black plastic? (Painters tape??) I have had wax on the plastic before and it takes FOREVER to come off...

What is the procedure for waxing?
Clean the truck VERY well, dry, wax, buff off?

Allen
2002 F250 Auto 2WD
4" exhaust, Gearhead Automotive Performance Tunes, Adrenaline HPOP, 3G Pod (PSI, Trans, Pyro), AIH Delete, S.S. HPX Line, Precision TC BD Valve Body, AFE Stage 1, Bellowed pipes, WW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 02:26 AM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to userma3648
Re: Thinking of waxing the truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimetic View Post

What is a good wax to use? preferably something I can buy at a local auto parts store, wally world, etc....

I have a Craftsman waxer (got it for Christmas) with the standard pads that come with it. Are these sufficient or should I get some other pads?

Is there an easy way to prevent the wax from getting on the black plastic? (Painters tape??) I have had wax on the plastic before and it takes FOREVER to come off...

well I am not a very big fan of the stufff you buy in the stores! if you have good wax and get it on your plastic it will wipe right off when you get it on and doesnt turn white!
wash your truck very well, clay bar,than buff wax on and wipe off!

now with your buffer if its a high speed you must watch cause you run the chance to burn your paint

08 6.4 with some goodies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Clay bar??

I think it is high speed.... I will just not hold it in one spot too long. I bought some "meguiar's Gold class wax" from Auto Zone I guess I'll try that stuff this time.

For next time what wax do you reccomend?

Allen
2002 F250 Auto 2WD
4" exhaust, Gearhead Automotive Performance Tunes, Adrenaline HPOP, 3G Pod (PSI, Trans, Pyro), AIH Delete, S.S. HPX Line, Precision TC BD Valve Body, AFE Stage 1, Bellowed pipes, WW

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 03:48 AM
WWDD

I like the system one spray on stuff, just got done doing my truck. best shine for a spray on wax IMHO.

couple trucks one fast one not
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 06:55 PM
40 lug nuts

ProperAutoCare -- Car Care Products, Best Car Waxes, Car Polishes, Auto Detailing Products, Car Buffers & Car Accessories

This place is local to me and has some amazing products. And they'll tell you how to use them.

BULLETPROOF DIESEL

Biofuels Technologies
1A Auto

2005 F-250
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Offical Puddle Displacer

Send a message via AIM to pstroke96

as far as off the shelf waxes go ive had the best luck with the turtle wax ice line, goes on easy comes off easy and leaves a great shine. doesnt leave any residue on plastics either

Refugee
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 03:21 AM
PSN Local

Quote:

1. An excellent line that you can often find in NAPA and Car Quest stores is Duragloss. Easy to use, very well priced, and VERY durable. They have several different "waxes" - which are really synthetic sealants, strictly speaking. 111 in particular is excellent. 101 and 105 are also great choices.

A newcomer to the US market is Autoglym. Their High Definition wax can sometimes be found at Walmart. A $35 pot of wax seems a bit out of place at Walmart, but I promise, this stuff is really excellent.

2. Waxing by machine? Personally, I don't bother. If you're using a product that's easy to use, you shouldn't really need the assistance of a machine to take it off. I find that a machine gets in my way. The other thing with doing it with your particular machine is the pads. Super Duty trucks are BIG. You're going to "fill" one of those pads with wax during the buffing process pretty quickly. Unless you have a lot of pads to use, the machine will become ineffective pretty quickly.

3. I don't mean to sound like a smartass, I promise, but the best way to keep wax off black plastic is to take your time, and keep it off the black plastic. Work in smaller areas and use less product. A little patience now will save you a lot of hassle removing that white residue weeks later.

Additionally, most good quality waxes or sealants these days shouldn't leave white residue at all. If you're using something that does, change to something different. Detailing products have come a LONG way over the last several years.

Want something so easy to use that you'll feel like you're cheating? Werkstat Acrylic Jett Trigger is the ease of use champion of the world. You spray it on the panel, smear it around very thinly, and that's basically it. It looks amazing and lasts well too. For a total package of looks, durability, and ease of use, my opinion is that there's nothing else close to this stuff. I recommend it to people new to detailing all the time, and they've all loved it.

4. Your procedure is fine for a basic wash and wax. If you plan to clay the truck, do that after you wash it, and before you wax it. As to the techniques used to apply and remove wax, it depends on the product. Just follow the directions on the container. Some advise you to wait a while before buffing - others advise you to remove it while it's still a bit wet.

Karl in NC
Early 1999 F250 6-speed: the DD and tow rig; DIY intake, stock exhaust straight piped
2004 Honda S2000: the autocross and sunny weather car

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 03:50 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to userma3648

Quote:
Clay bar??

I think it is high speed.... I will just not hold it in one spot too long. I bought some "meguiar's Gold class wax" from Auto Zone I guess I'll try that stuff this time.

For next time what wax do you reccomend?
I am a very big fan of the adams polishes! clay bar is a system that removes all the crap that is in your clear coat!
with buffing you got to use a wax that is for buffing!
the gold class wax is to use by hand.
I am not a buffer fan, i like to wax and polish by hand

08 6.4 with some goodies
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Was PSD0389

My process is wash the truck off

Clay bar the truck (you really should clay bar it before waxing the truck any time, you will be surprised what kind of crap it pulls off the paint) and you dont want to work that stuff deeper into the paint when buffing it. I use meguiars clay bar kit

Then I have a two stage 3M wax set that I use. First is a rubbing compound and second is a finishing wax to give it a really fine finish. Buff the first on then buff off and repeat on the second.

I have also used meguiars wax as well and I really like that

03 F-350 CCLB King ranch undergoing a 6.0 delete
99 Fummins- SOLD
95 F250- SOLD
08 6.4- Totaled 12/19/10
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Well, I waxed the truck with the stuff I got and the truck looks great. I'll keep in mind the suggestions y'all gave me.

The Wax didn't leave a white film on the plastic so that was good.

These trucks are BIG and I definitely don't look forward to waxing it again anytime soon....

Allen
2002 F250 Auto 2WD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode