paint help...so confused - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

paint help...so confused

my truck has the paint code B5, so i went to autozone to get touch up paint and i found B2, B5 touch up paint....bought it and applied it to a small spot on the roof, and its MUCH MUCH darker than my paint....it makes no sense, the codes match.....

how should i go about getting paint for this truck if the paint code doesnt match with the paint they have available... i need to find a thing of touch up, and a can of it to spray (wanna do the inside bottom of my doors to clean up some surface rust)

my truck is paint code B5 , but the touch up paint for that paint code is MUCH darker...heres my truck

i was reading that for an excursion, B5 is actually "Chestnut".... but the bottles on touch up have B2/B5 on them and say Harvest Gold.....perhaps my truck is actually Chestnut?

from google pics of harvest gold, i think thats the color my truck is....i dont understand why the touch up is much darker..

2001 F-250
7.3L
Auto
4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 01:46 PM
PSN Local

Re: paint help...so confused

Try going to the dealer, the only thing there is they will proly want an arm and a leg for it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

im willing to pay more if it matches...im just worried that something is up with the whole B2/B5 deal

2001 F-250
7.3L
Auto
4x4

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 02:07 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbutera2112 View Post
my truck has the paint code B5, so i went to autozone to get touch up paint and i found B2, B5 touch up paint....bought it and applied it to a small spot on the roof, and its MUCH MUCH darker than my paint....it makes no sense, the codes match.....

how should i go about getting paint for this truck if the paint code doesnt match with the paint they have available... i need to find a thing of touch up, and a can of it to spray (wanna do the inside bottom of my doors to clean up some surface rust)

my truck is paint code B5 , but the touch up paint for that paint code is MUCH darker...heres my truck

i was reading that for an excursion, B5 is actually "Chestnut".... but the bottles on touch up have B2/B5 on them and say Harvest Gold.....perhaps my truck is actually Chestnut?

from google pics of harvest gold, i think thats the color my truck is....i dont understand why the touch up is much darker..
2 problems. 1 you went to autozone and got touch up paint, which isnt always bad, but they are made for fresh paint, which brings up the second problem, fading. If your truck has faded over the years then touch up paint will never match. Even a body shop will have to do some mixing to get the right match, But it will be wayyyy closer.

2005 F350 prairie tan/black crew cab FX4 innovative tunes, exhaust

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PMRCM#1
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

i took into account fading, so i tried the touch up where it wouldnt have been in contact with the sun

you really dont understand how far off this paint is....

ill go get a pic, i went ahead and touch up the spot on the roof with it, because i wanted to stop the rust, and nobody ever sees the roof anyways

2001 F-250
7.3L
Auto
4x4
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

once i get the right stuff, ill get that nasty brown #### off of there and go over it the right way, with the right color...after i saw how bad it matched, i smeared it a little bit more to get a better pic of it...that spot is the size of a pea

2001 F-250
7.3L
Auto
4x4
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 02:32 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbutera2112 View Post

once i get the right stuff, ill get that nasty brown #### off of there and go over it the right way, with the right color...after i saw how bad it matched, i smeared it a little bit more to get a better pic of it...that spot is the size of a pea
Yeah thats just a case of the wrong color. Head to a body shop they will help you out

2005 F350 prairie tan/black crew cab FX4 innovative tunes, exhaust

PMRCM#1
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

do you think my truck sticker is wrong and i dont have B5, or do you think the touch up paint for B2/B5 is too dark? like a bad batch or something?

2001 F-250
7.3L
Auto
4x4
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 02:47 PM
PSN Veteran

Don't buy touchup paint at an auto parts store. Your best match will be with the following companies:

Automotivetouchup.com Touch Up Paint, Aerosol Spray Paint and Paint Touch Up Accessories

PaintScratch Touch-Up Paint (p1), Spray Cans, Spray Paint, Paint Pens, Car Paint, Automotive Paint

2012 F-150 XLT Ecoboost SuperCrew 6.5' 4x4
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

im gonna go right to the dealership and see what they say

if i get touch up from them for B5 and it matches, i will try one of those links you posted for a spray can if the dealer doesnt have it which i doubt they do.

thanks for the links man

2001 F-250
7.3L
Auto
4x4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode