Cleaning aluminum rims? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 11:36 PM
id: 5520
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Cleaning aluminum rims?

What is the best way to clean the aluminum rims on my dually? I tried the mother's paste polish and it really didn't work that well.
Is there a tool that works good to take the dry paste off with? or is there another product I should try?

Thanks in advance..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 11:51 PM
PSN Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 745
Re: Cleaning aluminum rims?

I like the Eagle 1 mag etching spray. it will clean and Etch leaving behing a polishible satin aluminum. I like the finish the cleaner leaves behind with out polishing.

2000 F350 CC SB Lariate
Afew exstras
All brought together by Tony Wildman
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Dale


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SZYD is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 12:03 AM
PSN Veteran
 
userma3648's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: bethel pa
Posts: 2,309
Send a message via Yahoo to userma3648
Re: Cleaning aluminum rims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsah View Post
What is the best way to clean the aluminum rims on my dually? I tried the mother's paste polish and it really didn't work that well.
Is there a tool that works good to take the dry paste off with? or is there another product I should try?

Thanks in advance..
well first off dont use mothers ploshies and waxes!
I would use adams all purpose cleaner and then adams meatl polish! works very well! I have pics I have to load with before and after and the rims I did were very bad

08 6.4 with some goodies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
userma3648 is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 12:05 AM
PSN Veteran
 
userma3648's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: bethel pa
Posts: 2,309
Send a message via Yahoo to userma3648
Re: Cleaning aluminum rims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZYD View Post
I like the Eagle 1 mag etching spray. it will clean and Etch leaving behing a polishible satin aluminum. I like the finish the cleaner leaves behind with out polishing.
when you use cleaners like this it opens the pours of the metal!! thats great if you polish but if you dont they will look crappy quick!
does your rims turn white a couple of months after use?

08 6.4 with some goodies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
userma3648 is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 12:27 AM
id: 5520
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cleaning aluminum rims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by userma3648 View Post
well first off dont use mothers ploshies and waxes!
I would use adams all purpose cleaner and then adams meatl polish! works very well! I have pics I have to load with before and after and the rims I did were very bad
Okay, where do you buy Adams products?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 12:33 AM
PSN Veteran
 
userma3648's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: bethel pa
Posts: 2,309
Send a message via Yahoo to userma3648
Re: Cleaning aluminum rims?

this is done with adams alll purpose cleaner and adams metal polish

before:::



After::

08 6.4 with some goodies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
userma3648 is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 06:33 PM
6Leaker
 
jdc753's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Norton, MA
Posts: 6,719
Send a message via AIM to jdc753
Re: Cleaning aluminum rims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsah View Post
Okay, where do you buy Adams products?
Here ya go atsah, Adam's Polishes

also they got a PSN discount too (10% off), Shiny Smoker! - Powerstroke Nation


I have always had good luck with Mothers Mag and aluminum polish use it on my wheels (chrome) and the side steps (when they were on the truck) and also the window trim I had on my old 83 F250. I would love to try some of Adam's stuff someday though, heard nothing but good stuff about it.

Are the factory dually wheel's clear coated maybe? I believe the SRW wheels are, I usually just use some windex (or wash em) and they come right back nice.

2005 F350 Crew Cab Long bed
6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
4" RCD lift, a bunch of stereo gear and a computer
jdc753 is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 08:14 PM
id: 5520
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cleaning aluminum rims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Here ya go atsah, Adam's Polishes

also they got a PSN discount too (10% off), Shiny Smoker! - Powerstroke Nation


I have always had good luck with Mothers Mag and aluminum polish use it on my wheels (chrome) and the side steps (when they were on the truck) and also the window trim I had on my old 83 F250. I would love to try some of Adam's stuff someday though, heard nothing but good stuff about it.

Are the factory dually wheel's clear coated maybe? I believe the SRW wheels are, I usually just use some windex (or wash em) and they come right back nice.
Thanks. I don't think mine are coated at all.. I had a large can of the Mother's stuff and I wanted to give it another try so I was going to buy a rim buffer anyway so I did and they came out pretty damn good.
Of course I was black when I got done.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:40 PM
strokefreak
 
strokefreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Abilene,TX
Posts: 353
Re: Cleaning aluminum rims?

i use the mothers also on my alcoas. blue corral makes a bad a** cream stuff that i use on my shiny toolboxes,bed rails and trim. make sure you have an electric buffer thingy and it will blind folks from miles away.

1996 Powerstroke. 159000 miles.
Custom F-250 Duallie Conversion.
Tymar - gauges - Swamps Tunes - MBRP Turbo back exh. Swamps HiFreq/HiVol IDM. Full Force Stage 1's. WW2. T500. SOLD.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2003 CCLB F-350
Current toy / exploder.
strokefreak is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 12:47 AM
PSN Veteran
 
Bryrylan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mass
Posts: 615
Re: Cleaning aluminum rims?

Easy Cut Metal Polish Products

The way to go, I started working around big trucks this winter that mothers crap is a joke compared to britemax I have done my bed ones and my rims twice on like a quarter of a bottle, I do use mothers little drill power ball thing tho.

2002 F-250

Kw w900B with a smaller stack than most pick ups
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi7615 View Post
look the word dodge up in any dictionary. it means "to avoid."
Bryrylan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome