OBS Dually Fender Protection? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

OBS Dually Fender Protection?

So I have been on vacation for this past week and was up in Indy with the truck. As I am leaving town, stop to fill and found this:

post a pic

I must have kicked up something from the underside and flexed the fender and thus, cracked the paint. So I am taking it back to the painter in 2 weeks to fix it, but now I am considering options on how to prevent it. Considering the current two options:

1. Rhino-line the inside of the fenders extra thick. Rhino-liner is more rubber like than Linex, so I think it will have the energy absorption I am looking for. Not sure about the additional weight stressing the fenders.

2. Using 1/8” UHMW sheeting and molding an inner fender deflector to
Hopefully prevent this.

Anyone done something similar to this before? Any other ideas?

Cory

1995 F350 CC DRW XLT 2WD 5-Spd w/ BD Exhaust Brake 225K Mi, HyperMax Stage 2 Kit, HyperMax EGT & Boost Gauges, Riffraff / Tymar Intake, HyperMax Intercooler, HyperMax 330HP chip, Adrealine HPOP & Braided Lines, Melling M208 LPOP and HyperMax 4" Exhaust. Coming Soon: DP-Tuner F-6 and custom electric fuel system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 04:20 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: OBS Dually Fender Protection?

Lining the inside should work.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 11:28 PM
PSN Local

Re: OBS Dually Fender Protection?

The paint shouldnt have cracked if you are talking about one of the fiberglass rear fenders. If the fender has been painted before, the painter didnt add the flex agent to the paint.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B&C Supply Co.-Automotive Reconditioning Products

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I am familiar with the flex agents, and this painter has been doing work along time. These fenders do not appear to be fiberglass, but SMC material for which he was familiar with. Now with all this being said, a sharp force hit from the backside could cause enough deformation that the tensile strength of the paint could not stand, causing the crack.

To me, the bigger concern is that there is nothing to take the brunt of high speed wheel debris. I spent a lot of time on gravel this past week and suspect this is what caused my failure. A inner panel or Linex could go a long way toward prevention.

Either way, I will discuss when I am there and we’ll get it fixed.

Cory

1995 F350 CC DRW XLT 2WD 5-Spd w/ BD Exhaust Brake 225K Mi, HyperMax Stage 2 Kit, HyperMax EGT & Boost Gauges, Riffraff / Tymar Intake, HyperMax Intercooler, HyperMax 330HP chip, Adrealine HPOP & Braided Lines, Melling M208 LPOP and HyperMax 4" Exhaust. Coming Soon: DP-Tuner F-6 and custom electric fuel system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode