swirl marks and such - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Back in Black

swirl marks and such

Hey guys, my trans is out and truck will be down for 2 weeks so i am going to do a cleaning.

I started by washing and now fine cut cleaner on the paint to bring the white back to even whiter. its working well, I used the maquires stuff, However you spell it, lol

What is the absolute best stuff to get out scratched and swirls? The owner before me owned a construction company so it has TONS of light scratches you can only see at certian angles but I would like to get out, im tired of spending 25$ on somthing and it not working so thought i would get some opinions.

Thanks

2009 F-250 ccsb black/black

Lowered 4400lb spring, 20x10 MM962, Nitto 420, traction bars, 5" exhaust 7" MBRP black stack, SCT - Innovative tunes, IDP cold side IC pipe, MPD trans. Blacked outtttt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Twitch

Re: swirl marks and such

Adams swirl and haze remover. A long with some of their wax products..and a few passes with the buffer.

Adam's Polishes

02 F250 4x4..."Smokey"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Lovin Life...

Professional clay bar, then polish and wax.

02-350. CCSB - Drivetrain by Stauffer, fuel by Swamps, air by Barder, tunes by Gearhead.
04-250. ECSB - In the shop...7.3 swap.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 09:25 PM
PSN Local

The only way to remove scratches and swirls is to polish them out. As to what polish is best - that sort of depends on who you ask, because much like ice cream, everyone has their favorite. The stuff I use the most is made by Menzerna; if I had to pick one, it would be their Power Finish compound. You can use it with a number of different pads to achieve the level of correction that you're after.

I've used some of the Adam's products and liked them; however, I've never used any of their polishes, so I can't offer an opinion on those.

Karl in NC
Early 1999 F250 6-speed: the DD and tow rig; DIY intake, stock exhaust straight piped
2004 Honda S2000: the autocross and sunny weather car

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Back in Black

The only thing about adams is i can find the only way to get ahold of it is order it, I havnt found anywhere that sells them.

What kind of buffer do most use? and where do you get it? i borrowed one from a buddy, but its a sander/buffer combo, very big and i cant find the right pads for it either...

2009 F-250 ccsb black/black

Lowered 4400lb spring, 20x10 MM962, Nitto 420, traction bars, 5" exhaust 7" MBRP black stack, SCT - Innovative tunes, IDP cold side IC pipe, MPD trans. Blacked outtttt
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Lovin Life...

Kenny, Userma3648 I believe sells Adams. PM him and see what's up. I'll be up his way tomorrow (going to Cabellas ) and I'd be happy to grab you some stuff if that is the case.

02-350. CCSB - Drivetrain by Stauffer, fuel by Swamps, air by Barder, tunes by Gearhead.
04-250. ECSB - In the shop...7.3 swap.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 01:11 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroken View Post
The only thing about adams is i can find the only way to get ahold of it is order it, I havnt found anywhere that sells them.

What kind of buffer do most use? and where do you get it? i borrowed one from a buddy, but its a sander/buffer combo, very big and i cant find the right pads for it either...
Get there orbital kit... That is what I use. It is a lot of work, but your truck will look brand new when you are done...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 06:26 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02BigD View Post
Professional clay bar, then polish and wax.

2008 F-250 FX4 cc,4x4

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 11:46 AM
PSN nerd

I use some evercoat, 3m, and adams stuff. For the scratches like your talking about I usually use 3m imperial rubbing compound with a evercoat foam compound pad. But unless you have done this alot or know someone who can teach you how to this can also destroy a paint job easily is not done right. The buffer that adams has is MUCH more forgiving than a rotory buffer. Remember too once you have used any type of rubbing compound on that pad only use it for that. Then after that I use a polish type wax, then finishing glaze and your back to new again. I do clay bar right after washing just to make sure you get all the junk out of the paint. Some detail guys think this is a wasted step, but I am afraid of having something embedded in the paint and come loose with the buffer and create you more work. This also is not as much of an issue with the orbital buffer but still is to an extent.

97 F250SC 4X4 4 LINKED ON AIR <- FOR SALE!!!!!!

00 F350CC 4x4 I NEED A FLATBED FOR IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YALL KNOW ANYBODY THAT HAS ONE

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 02:24 PM
PSN Local

Buy a Porter Cable 7424 and some pads. You wont be disappointed, and even an amateur would have a hard time screwing up their paint with it. Especially white.

Poorboys' Porter Cable 7424 Package

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode