Underhood Cleaning Question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Underhood Cleaning Question

I was changing out the radiator on my 99 Explorer and got caught in the "might as well" deal. I decided that while the fan, belt, battery, and radiator were out I would clean up under the hood. Not a detailing, but just a clean up. I sprayed a 50/50 water/ Simple Green around and let it set for about 15 miuntes rinsed with the garden hose. Used some "car wash" soap and water with a soft brush on painted surfaces. Used the air hose to blow off the excess water.

This Explorer has the 5.0 motor which has a lot of aluminum parts. These parts now have a white deposit on them. What did I do wrong and how can I fix it?

Thanks,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 02:16 PM
King of my own world

Re: Underhood Cleaning Question

most of the deposites probably were there! when wet with water oil etc. you cant see them. also be advised simplegreen is corrosive to aluminum it says right on it d not use on aircraft. aluminum has its own protective layer and simple green microscopicly etches that surface when it dries the raw metal reactes with the air and you get the deposites. spray your engine down with stp no touch tire care. puts a film over it removes the depoites and makes plastic shiney. be careful not to spray alternater and exaust manifolds.

97 F250 5 speed w/homemade flatbed, diy intake muffler delete, empty emissions device, 10k, 3" dp, 5" tip.
more to come.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Don't EFN worry about it

I never had issues using simple green ! I used to use it straight no dilution .

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 02:24 PM
King of my own world

it says right on msds its corrosive to aluminum. we used it for years in the coast guard and we had aluminum boats. it would leave little deposites now and then though.

97 F250 5 speed w/homemade flatbed, diy intake muffler delete, empty emissions device, 10k, 3" dp, 5" tip.
more to come.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 03:24 AM
PSN Local

Here's a quote from the Simple Green website that speaks to using the "original" version on bare aluminum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Green Website
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.
I don't use Simple Green, but I do use other all purpose cleaners on engines all the time. Rinse the engines and surrounding areas very thoroughly, and don't keep the cleaner on any bare metal for very long. It's probably best to work in small sections.

Karl in NC
Early 1999 F250 6-speed: the DD and tow rig; DIY intake, stock exhaust straight piped
2004 Honda S2000: the autocross and sunny weather car

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode