Wheel Shields anyone? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Winners never quit!

Wheel Shields anyone?

Hey all, Im lookin for a wheel cover/ protector/ shield to keep tire shine off your rims, I have an old one that works really well called "Wheel sheeld" one but it only goes up to 17". Im in need of 18" shield.. Anyone know of a company or dealer that could help me out?

Dustin. 96 F250 XLT.
"Underestimated"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 04:31 AM
PSN Local

Re: Wheel Shields anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spray7.3 View Post
Hey all, Im lookin for a wheel cover/ protector/ shield to keep tire shine off your rims, I have an old one that works really well called "Wheel sheeld" one but it only goes up to 17". Im in need of 18" shield.. Anyone know of a company or dealer that could help me out?
Try your local tire and wheel place. When wheels are shipped, sometimes they're separated from one another by cardboard discs in the size of the wheels.

Personally, I prefer to put tire dressing on with an applicator, for these reasons:
- Overspray is a problem, even with the rim shielded; a breeze can catch the spray and deposit stray tire dressing elsewhere on the vehicle
- By applying with an applicator, you're less likely to use too much product. This saves product, and helps mitigate the tendency for tire dressing to sling all over your rocker panels.

Karl in NC
Early 1999 F250 6-speed: the DD and tow rig; DIY intake, stock exhaust straight piped
2004 Honda S2000: the autocross and sunny weather car

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 05:07 AM
HHAUL'N STROKER

Cant you just cut out a cardboard circle?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 11:21 AM
JDG's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to 99F250Smitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOK'N BLUE STROKER View Post
Cant you just cut out a cardboard circle?
I used the bottom of a big Pizza Box.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 12:52 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99F250Smitty View Post
I used the bottom of a big Pizza Box.

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Winners never quit!

Yes I tried the cut c.b. circle... over spray from the can still seems to make its way onto the wheels because the c.b doesnt make for a very good seal around the edges of the rim possibly shouldve made it a lil bigger. I even cut out and supa glued a handle on my c.b cutout, fancy lol!

The truck is (generally) inside where it stays when I apply it so wind is only a prob when at a show. Tho I do know what your sayin about the wind makin a spotty mess on the body.

So those of you who use the foam applicators what tire shine are you using, what'd yall like best??
thanks guys.

Dustin. 96 F250 XLT.
"Underestimated"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 04:34 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
So those of you who use the foam applicators what tire shine are you using, what'd yall like best??
thanks guys.
That depends on what kind of look I'm going for. For me, personally, I like my tires to just look like tires. Dark and rich, like brand new tires on display at a tire store. When I'm going for that look, my favorite, by far, is Tropi-Care White Pearl Tire Dressing. It's my favorite by a huge margin. Not only does it look great, its durability is unmatched among water-based dressings. In second place is Surf City Garage Beyond Black Tire Pro. The Surf City stuff looks very similar, but its durability is poor. Tropi-Care is online only; Surf City Garage is available at Pep Boys as well as online.

Here's a photo of my S2000 with Tropi-Care on the tires:

If you can't find either of those, Vinylex (by the makers of Lexol) is a great stand-in.

If I'm after super shiny - which isn't very often - I use Stoner's More Shine, Less Time. It's an aerosol, so using an applicator isn't real easy, but it's possible. This stuff works as described - if you want your tires super shiny, just put on another layer. It lasts well and is pretty inexpensive. It can be found at most auto parts stores. Here's the same car, same tires, with More Shine, Less Time on it:

Karl in NC
Early 1999 F250 6-speed: the DD and tow rig; DIY intake, stock exhaust straight piped

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Winners never quit!

krshultz-
Wow, I think Im going to try that tropi care product I really like that deep black look!
I've always used the more wet look or seriously wet line of tire shines but Ill check out that tropi care!! thanks for the reply man its greatly appreciated.

Dustin. 96 F250 XLT.
"Underestimated"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 05:09 PM
JDG's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to 99F250Smitty

I like the purple stuff that Mequires has for hand applicated tire shine. It smells like grapes too.

Brian

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 06:44 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
krshultz-
Wow, I think Im going to try that tropi care product I really like that deep black look!
I've always used the more wet look or seriously wet line of tire shines but Ill check out that tropi care!! thanks for the reply man its greatly appreciated.
You won't be disappointed. Tropi-Care is like buying Swissvax Pneu at a huge discount.

Make sure you clean your tires thoroughly before dressing them; this goes for every vehicle, not just the one you're putting Tropi-Care on. Tire dressing lasts much longer, and looks more consistent, when it's applied to a clean tire.

--Karl

Karl in NC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode