doors on obs - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

doors on obs

does anyone have any tips for reinforcing the front doors on the obs trucks? my door skins were cracked when i got the truck and with the giant mirrors and desert brush the've gotten worse. i'm not too worried about looks but i dont want it to look ugly. it has the rv style mirrors by the way. i also want to sound proof the doors and reinfoce the inner panel too. i was thininking i could start by filling the bottem of the doors with great stuff up to where the door skin bends out. it would be low enough to allow the windows to roll down. then maybe some spray on dyna mat (or equivalent) on the inside doorskins and regular dynamat on the inner door. BUT i need to figure out what to do about my mirrors 1st. i like having big mirrors so i think i may put dzus fastners on them so that i can take them off when 4 wheeling or in tight spaces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 02:56 AM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S
Re: doors on obs

I have the stick on sound proofing material on the inside of my door skins. It does help firm out the panel and works on the sound as well.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Peon Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
I have the stick on sound proofing material on the inside of my door skins. It does help firm out the panel and works on the sound as well.
I hope to complete my doors this summer. I will tell you, depending on what material you use and how much, it may also stress your hinges. Found that out the hard way with my old bronco...

Sam

The Trash Truck
96 CC F350 SRW - Built for SVO and mileage
Go Green - HotFox, Dual Heated Dahl 100s, Fuel Filter Coolant Wrap, ArcticFox
Go Fast - Hybrids, H2E, 6.0 IC, Fuelab, BTS 144.2/291.5 uncorrected

thanx
Rockin-S-Performance - Install, tech support, and advice
Diesel Innovations - Killer Deal on Parts
Tony Wildman/SWAMPS - Tuning

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

yeah the door hinges do seem a little wimpy when the door opens harder than you expect. i still need to find a way to keep the door skin from cracking from the mirrors though. maybe a piece of c channel for the bottem of the mirrors and some extra sheet metal at the top? how well does the stick on sound deadner stick? it has some kind of coatin on part of the skin thats kind of rough plus it get up to 125* here in the summer.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 11:19 PM
STILL LEARNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisevans2645 View Post
does anyone have any tips for reinforcing the front doors on the obs trucks? my door skins were cracked when i got the truck and with the giant mirrors and desert brush the've gotten worse. i'm not too worried about looks but i dont want it to look ugly. it has the rv style mirrors by the way. i also want to sound proof the doors and reinfoce the inner panel too. i was thininking i could start by filling the bottem of the doors with great stuff up to where the door skin bends out. it would be low enough to allow the windows to roll down. then maybe some spray on dyna mat (or equivalent) on the inside doorskins and regular dynamat on the inner door. BUT i need to figure out what to do about my mirrors 1st. i like having big mirrors so i think i may put dzus fastners on them so that i can take them off when 4 wheeling or in tight spaces
I used a piece of 3/16x1.5" flat stock approx 18" long inside the door behind the two lower mirror bolts. just sandwiched the door skin . You could also spot weld it in too. My doors still had good paint. No cracks in 190k. Dzus fastners are not a good idea. They dont hold the mirrior TIGHT like it needs to be. It will crack the door faster. As for the spray foam, bad idea. Water will get in and not get out. doors will rot .out. Use some of the Dynamat or equivilant. It works wonders.. Dynamat is expensive but you get what you pay for.

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

yeah thats a good point. its so rare that it rains here that i didnt think about that. anyway i messed my door and fender up pretty good this weekend offroading because i tryed to open my door when the body flexed the wrong way. i guess i should widen the gaps some. one thing ive been wanting to do is line-x the entire truck. no more desert pinstripeing and no more glare off the hood. if i do go that route i could probaly pop rivit the reenforcements in and it wouldnt show. dont know about the hinges though. is there a way to beef those up?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode