cleaning chrome stacks - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

cleaning chrome stacks

hey guys ive been trying a whole bunch of different cleaners on the stacks and i can't find an easy way to get the soot off from around the opening. im sure most people don't worry about this area but i don't like it hanging around on there. i like my stuff to look clean. it takes a fair amount of scrubbing to get it off. also is there a cleaner that is special for chrome? thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
F250 7.3 Crew Cab Short Bed Lariat
4"dp 5 inch pipes to dual 8 inch stacks (summer)
4" turbo back dual axle dumps (winter)
PHP Hydra (loaded)
Edge insight CTS monitor w/ eas system
17 ton d-ring with solid polished titanium hitch
80% over rosewood injectors
Transgo tugger kit
dual disc tc
GTP38R
More to come
call me dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 12:52 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: cleaning chrome stacks

on my exhaust tips I just use warm soapy water and a sponge....it takes some effort but it works well....

Chad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

00 F350, 08 clone, 3" cowl hood,billet grilles, 15" lift, 40" SS M16'S, 24X12 Rockstars, 2% tint, EBPV Delete, 4" duals w/7" tips, 6637 intake, WW, CCV Mod, PHP 80,120 race,140 Extreme, stage 1 single shots, 6.0 I/C

Chad
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 12:55 AM
New guy

Garage

Paint thinner probably would wipe it right off, of course if your stacks are hot.... poooof

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 01:22 AM
PSN Veteran

paint thinner would....but it would/could also do harm to the chrome...I'd just use some good ole fashioned elbow grease bud...

Chad

00 F350, 08 clone, 3" cowl hood,billet grilles, 15" lift, 40" SS M16'S, 24X12 Rockstars, 2% tint, EBPV Delete, 4" duals w/7" tips, 6637 intake, WW, CCV Mod, PHP 80,120 race,140 Extreme, stage 1 single shots, 6.0 I/C

Chad
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka350 View Post
paint thinner would....but it would/could also do harm to the chrome...I'd just use some good ole fashioned elbow grease bud...

Chad
alright thanks. thats what ive been doing. just wondering if there was an easier way. it takes a long time to wash these big trucks and i get home later the same night and the bed already has a coat of unburned fuel on it. just trying to quicken it up but i guess the long way is the best.

PHP Hydra (loaded)
Transgo tugger kit
dual disc tc
GTP38R
More to come
call me dan
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 01:33 AM
PSN Veteran

you could always get a bottle of Lucas Spray Wax and spray that bed side and the exhaust tips and it would help a little....but the main concern is why is your truck smoking so much???? it could be an issue...it could be the way you drive ....keep your foot out of the skinny and your job will get a little bit easier

Chad

Chad
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

ummmmm..... 120 smoke screen tune on the 80 over injectors. 1 shot of that and its covered. now i don't use it all the time only used it once on my buddy and it actually set his check engine light somehow but yea its probably the way i drive. the stacks sound really good right around 2700-3000 rpm. the truck was down for about 2.5 months and i went and bought a cheap dollar store car sponge for a reason. there were 3 different colors between brown black and oil on it. the sponge ended up black and doesn't clean out of the sponge. haha

PHP Hydra (loaded)
Transgo tugger kit
dual disc tc
GTP38R
More to come
call me dan
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 02:14 AM
PSN Veteran

yeah if you just lose the skinny pedal you'll be golden lol....I run mine constantly on 140 with stage 1 single shots and I smoke a bit but only clean my tips...MAYBE once a month???

Chad

Chad
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

thats the nice thing about having a black truck like you do... you dont feel the urge to wash it every week because its not white. the white is a biatch. if i get any water down the stacks while washing it it blows huge black drops out all over everything behind them. i believe this will be the last time i buy a white truck with stacks. white with dual out the back any day all day but no more white with stacks. haha im running the php 65hp tune for now. i ordered the wrong egt sensor to work with the insight cts so im waiting to order the expandable one from edge this week before i start running the 120 tunes all the time.

PHP Hydra (loaded)
Transgo tugger kit
dual disc tc
GTP38R
More to come
call me dan
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 02:36 AM
PSN Veteran

it's really nice from time to time...but it does suck pretty badly when you try to keep it spotless....and living in Virginia is even harder because every other day it rains like cats and dogs....I've gotten to the point where I only drive my truck on sunny days and weekends. and you can tell when the soot does build up because it goes from glossy shiny black....and awesome....to flat black and crappy looking.

Chad

Chad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode