Cleaning up the rims... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Hoosier daddy!

Cleaning up the rims...

I have a set of procomp aluminum alloy wheels that have little spots on them from what I assume is brake dust/particles... Last fall I buffed them real good with some compound and polish, but they still have the spots. The clear coat(I assume that's what it is) was damaged by Tire White right after I bought the wheels also so it has a coudy look. What can I do to fix this? Should I try some of that stripper stuff you guys talk about or is there a better buffing compound that I can use?

2001 PSD F250
Born 4/01 in KY USA,
4x4, 3.73, Ext. Cab, Shortbox...
ITP RR, CCV, Tymar Intake, Airdog, DP tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 03:43 PM
JDG's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to 99F250Smitty
Re: Cleaning up the rims...

Just sell them to me.

Seriously though, i have had good luck with mothers products, is Adam's still a sponsor? I seem to remember a thread about someone using there products and it took the spots off of rims.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Hoosier daddy!

I think I need more than polish though... These small black spots and the cloudy discoloration don't come off with a normal buffing compound... I think I need something a little stronger than the usual...

2001 PSD F250
Born 4/01 in KY USA,

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Lovin the Tuna

I know theres a point when brake dust begins to eat at the actual wheel and pit, at that point i dont think there is much you can do... Otherwise maybe somone knows something better/stronger than mothers, and go to town. What are you using to buff with? Powerball?

2001 F250
2000 F250
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 09:43 PM
6Leaker

Send a message via AIM to jdc753

I recently let my brakes go a bit too far thinking I could get just one more day. But the rim was what took me the longest to clean and honestly a few times I thought it was never going to get clean.

I have Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy's (not sure if they are the same as yours) in the 6005 style chrome finish. I used brake cleaner for the most part with a paper towel and sometimes lightly with a brillo pad (I recommend a bit more elbo grease instead of the harsher pad though.) Also some spots were bad enough I had to carefully scratch at them with a paint scraper

The brake cleaner didn't seem to harm the finish of the rim, I only had one small spot where I got a little aggressive with the pad and clouded a tiny area. Otherwise for a clean rim I have found that simple Windex or glass cleaner shines them up nice and easily, simply spray it on and wipe it off. I still wanna try some Mother's chrome and mag polish on them though to see what it will do. Mine are still pretty new though, maybe only 12k miles on them.

2005 F350 Crew Cab Long bed
6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
4" RCD lift, a bunch of stereo gear and a computer
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Hoosier daddy!

I did use a powerball. Maybe I'll just go at them a bit longer and see what happens. These wheels have less than 12k on them though... Whatever the little black spots are they are a pain to get out... almost like they are embeded into the surface of the rim.

2001 PSD F250
Born 4/01 in KY USA,

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 11:58 PM
Lovin the Tuna

thats the pitting im talking about, but with only 12k i dont think it will actually have pitted yet, probably just a lottttt of scrubbing, also try the brake clean to get it off and the mothers or something to polish it back up...

2001 F250
2000 F250
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Hoosier daddy!

Will do. I have the big tires off for the winter so I can take my time and buff the crap outta them... Thanks for the info.

2001 PSD F250
Born 4/01 in KY USA,

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 03:16 AM
To the floor board.

also try taking about 400 grit sand paper and wet sand them. you could start at 200 and work your way up. Thats what we do for big trucks if they are real bad. it will look brand new when they are done i promise

1999 f350 build date 2/99powerstroke, red, TS 6 position, banks turbo wheel, banks big head wastegate, mbrp 5" with 6" grand rock stacks, diy tymar, Zoodad mod, AIH plug, 8" superlift UPCOMING MODS: Stage 2 injectors,Stage 2 water meth injection, 95 gph fass fuel, Spearco intercooler, TN ballbearing turbo, 6.0 trans cooler, and arp head studs.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Hoosier daddy!

That 400 grit won't remove any coating on the rim or anything that I'm going to wish I still had when I'm done?

2001 PSD F250
Born 4/01 in KY USA,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode