Metal shavings on paint - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Metal shavings on paint

I cut the bumper mounts off of my truck with a grinder a few months ago and didn't think about the metals shavings on the paint. Now there are small little rust spots on top the paint I need to remove. My only thought is to clay bar the paint. Any ideas?

1997 cc lb 4x4 5 speed tymar 4 inch diamond eye straight pipe, 20 inch Eagle Alloy polished wheels,power hungry 6 pos tuned for stage 1's,idm mod,8000k H.I.D's. 4'' icon front super duty springs with sky 5'' rsk. rear 6'' icons for super duty. bilstien shocks. ebay special grill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Re: Metal shavings on paint

they likely burned in

I have ruined sunglasses and watches doing the same

I have seen windshield and storefront glass with the metal embedded in it also

not sure how to safely dislodge it from paint?

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 10:25 AM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Wet sanding... Clay bar might get it, they normally melt into the clear.

It happens all the time on the commercial jobs, Glazier puts the windows in, and for some reason someone does some grinding in the general location, and were replacing windows.

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 02:10 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by cams-76 View Post
I cut the bumper mounts off of my truck with a grinder a few months ago and didn't think about the metals shavings on the paint. Now there are small little rust spots on top the paint I need to remove. My only thought is to clay bar the paint. Any ideas?
There is no way of getting it out, sorry to tell ya. You have strip your paint and repaint. The problem here comes with you don't know how far down the chip melted. It can go all the way threw the primer.

A few solutions to this: this one is labor intensive and has to be done a lot.
You have to use buffing compound and buff your paint, and not with a orbital da waxing buffer a variable speed grinder outfitted with a buffing wheel like wool or foam pad, that will get rid of the rust on the metal shavings then you need to wax the surface to cover the bare metal so it doesnt rust. As long as you keep up on wax you will be able to keep the rust away but if you see the rust come back you have to start all over again with buffing and then wax again.

Another option is buff your paint then wet sand with 1000 grit to prep your paint for another coat of clear. then spray two more coats of clear on it. I have seen people do this with mixed results. You have a 50 50 shot of the clear bubbling because of the oxidation of the metal underneath, but you will not have to wax if it is successful.

good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode