is it worth detailing a DD? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

is it worth detailing a DD?

Overall my truck is very clean, gets washed once a week and some wax every few months. Lately the swirl marks are really starting to bother me, so I'm thinking about taking a day to wash, clay bar, polish/compound, and wax. The problem is this is my only ride and gets driven in the rain, the occasional dirt road, etc. So is it really worth all the work or are the swirls just going to come right back?

2007 F-250 CCLB Lariat FX4 6.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuekear View Post
I just blow my heads off the block once a year. Keeps nice clean antifreeze in it, although not that cost effective it sure is fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 01:07 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: is it worth detailing a DD?

Your going to spend more than a day to do it right. And YES it is worth it. And YES they will come back if you don't keep up on the waxing. Still worth it.

Decided to get tint, and machine polished the truck (pics) - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

So from that point all I have to do is keep waxing and I'm good?

Quote:
I just blow my heads off the block once a year. Keeps nice clean antifreeze in it, although not that cost effective it sure is fun.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 AM
40 lug nuts

The swirl marks are a result of improper washing. Dirt gets in your wash mitt/sponge and leaves fine scratches in the clear coat. If you don't do anything about them, they'll continue to get worse and when you DO decide you can't take it any more, you'll have to use much more aggressive products/techniques.

Once you get them out, use two buckets when washing: first bucket is water only and the second bucket has soap+water. Use the first bucket to rinse your wash mitt before dunking it in the second bucket. Try to wash in one direction as much as possible. Meaning wash the hood and roof from front to back and the side panels/doors from top to bottom. The fine scratches are inevitable, but they're less noticeable than when you wash in a circular motion.

My 05 is my DD and has 166k miles on it. Always nice when someone says "that's an 05?!"

BULLETPROOF DIESEL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Biofuels Technologies
1A Auto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 F-250
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I always spray off the wash mitt thoroughly before dunking it back in the bucket. I think the swirls are either from the previous owner, or back in the days when I used to wash it with a brush.

Quote:
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 06:17 PM
40 lug nuts

A brush?

BULLETPROOF DIESEL

Biofuels Technologies
1A Auto

2005 F-250
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Don't ask lol it was like 2 years ago when I had no clue what I was doing. What's even worse is my dad borrowed it last week and tried to be nice by washing it before he gave it back and used the brush again. I need to throw that thing away when he's not looking

Quote:
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 AM
40 lug nuts

Throw the brush away and play dumb.

BULLETPROOF DIESEL

Biofuels Technologies
1A Auto

2005 F-250
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

haha only problem then is he'll use my wash mitt for his cars :)

I just picked up a new buffing pad, microfiber cloth and some Meguiar's Ultimate Polish.
Would it be ok to put the polish on even though I waxed the truck like 3 weeks ago? Or do I have to strip the wax somehow?

Quote:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 06:31 AM
PSN Local

Yes its worth it but to do it right its going to take HOURS.

Great advice from Snake, 2 bucket wash plus invest in some grit guards

Your going to need to clay first. If your paint is contaminated then it will get stuck in the pad and you will not get good correction. Claying will remove most of the wax and then polishing will remove anything left over. Megs UP has oils in it so your going to need to do an IPA wipe down to check your results. Check out autogeekonline.net

2007 F250 Outlaw, 35x12.50r20s Toyo Mts, Autometer gauges, ScangaugeII, ARPs, 4" Magnaflow Exhaust, Innovative Tunes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode