Detailed the truck this weekend.... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Pre-K

Detailed the truck this weekend....

These are the first pics I've posted of my truck on here. Don't have too many yet but I'll post a few before and after shots.

Before:
Sorry I don't have a full truck shot of before.

The stock molding was there but in rough rough shape so I pulled it off and buffed it up. The PO some other Autozone shiny metal on the bottom of the doors that was also in terrible condition. I don't think the PO washed the truck one time and it even created a few rust bubbles I'll have to have repaired when it gets painted in a year or two.

Here's a midpoint shot. You can still see some marks on the doors.

Another mid point shot because I put some B codes and new shocks on and wanted to get a comparison shot for the lift. I thought I had taken one prior, with stock springs, but I guess not.

After:
Towards the end I gave up focus on the bed since I'll be trading for a dually bed later. I got the cab and fenders 100%. Just getting the glue and molding off alone was about 20 man hours, 2 bottles of acetone, 3 rags, a bottle of Xylene, and a lot of wacky-tobacky and hippie juice to keep my mind fresh.

First I washed it. When I bought it it wasn't pretty. I've slowly washed it better and better, more and more detailed, little by little, getting the worst of the mess off while continuing to maintain the cleanliness.

Then I buffed blemishes out with rubbing alcohol. There was a lot of corrosion around the base from the water sitting inside the debri guards on the doors. The more and more I look at this truck I see it was never washed. What a shame for what could be a nice truck, eventually I'll get there. ha.

I washed it again to get any excess rubbing alcohol off and then waxed it. Took better part of an entire day just waxing it. Tailgate isn't on in the pics. Grille isn't either. Don't mind those. I'm still working on it. As you can see, the pictures are a little premature. I've since fixed most the things you see in the pic, the bed stabilizer bar and the wires hanging below for the camper plug-in.

Like I said, I haven't posted any pics on here. I'm a little hesitant because all the pictures I see are so nice. Then here's mine... so dirty. haha.

I'm not really sure what I'm going for on the truck. I'm working on removing the chrome as of now. I like the idea of a white OBS with the black trim, toolbox, bumper, wheels, etc. I was a little reluctant to remove the molding because I like the stock appearance of cars but I think this looks amazing. I'm happy with it. I continue to take care of it and learn from it and it's been great. ^^

Thanks for looking, hope you like. Suggestions are always more-then appreciated.

1997 F-350 4x4
Beans tunes
160/80 Rosewood's
Sump'd 38 gallon conversion w/ e-fuel.
B code rears
To be installed - 6.0 I/C, RSK and V codes.

Looking to upgrade my stock turbo set up. Got anything? PM me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 05:09 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Detailed the truck this weekend....

Nice job, is this your daily driver? I spent an entire Sunday waxing my truck, it looked amazing then two days later it rained and all my work was ruined. Now I just wax one section at a time when I wash it each week. Not worth doing the whole truck to me lol

2007 F-250 CCLB Lariat FX4 6.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuekear View Post
I just blow my heads off the block once a year. Keeps nice clean antifreeze in it, although not that cost effective it sure is fun.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Pre-K

Yes sir, I drive it everyday I can.

I used a clay bar as well, for the first time, but wasn't sure I was doing it in the right order. Wax first, clay second?

I usually wax all my cars every spring then maintain it all year or do like you, one section at a time. Supposed to have 7 or so days of upper 80's so I'll be able to enjoy it for a bit. ^^

Next project is the interior. Sigh. I thought the outside was bad..... What do you think is the best stuff to use for interior plastics/dash?

1997 F-350 4x4
Beans tunes
160/80 Rosewood's
B code rears

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 12:00 PM

Looking good....amazing how much better paint can look with a little attention.

You should be using the clay bar PRIOR to waxing.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 12:09 PM
PSN Local

You guys waxing by hand need to invest into a dual action polisher. I can wax my CC/LB in about 2 hours. Thats on and off. It also makes taking swirls and other paint imperfections out.

OP you need to clay bar before you wax. It is designed to clean the paint and take off contaminants to give you a good surface to work with.

Truck looks much better now.

Matt
2011 CC/LB King Ranch 6.7 White Tri Coat 4x4
Mods: Truck Nutz and dodge tow mirrors
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Pre-K

Thanks guys.

As rare as it gets waxed I'm not sure I can justify the storage space for a buffer/polisher. Not to mention I like the physical exertion, bonding time with my vehicle, and thinking time.

Now just to get the new grill on and finish the little things..

1997 F-350 4x4
Beans tunes
160/80 Rosewood's
B code rears

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 02:32 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97CCLB410LS View Post
Yes sir, I drive it everyday I can.

I used a clay bar as well, for the first time, but wasn't sure I was doing it in the right order. Wax first, clay second?

I usually wax all my cars every spring then maintain it all year or do like you, one section at a time. Supposed to have 7 or so days of upper 80's so I'll be able to enjoy it for a bit. ^^

Next project is the interior. Sigh. I thought the outside was bad..... What do you think is the best stuff to use for interior plastics/dash?
Sorry man the order is clay first then wax. Best way to tell if u need to clay bar is put a plastic grocery bag on your hand and feel the paint, if the paint feels rough clay bar then retry. Here's a page of good tips
Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides

2000 F250, 6" bds,20'' kmc hoss with 37 procomp Xtreme AT's. S&B stage 2 intake,4" proflow bellowed up-pipes,php custom tunes, swamps S/175/146 injectors,04 headlights,warn hubs, Pricol gauges,built tranny low stall billet convertor, Kenwood excelon headunit, rockford fosgate t400.4 and t1500.1,image dynamic componets with 4 10's,
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 04:15 PM
PSN Local

very clean truck noting better than a super clean obs!

08 black and tan- egr deleted, dpf gutted(looks stock), h&s mini max, fabtech 10inch suspension lift, fuel 2 piece 20x12 nutz, 38x15.50 toyo open country mt
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 AM
siksix0

how did u clean that molding adhesive off i wanna do that? i wanna do that to my black 05

05 six0 cc shortbed lariat FX4, harley headlights,recon cab lights, egr/oil cooler delete, sct x3(gear head custom tunes), 03 turbo with batmowheel, arp studs, airaid intake, zoodad mod, straight duals w/ 6" tips, php tuned ficm, six4 banjos and blue spring fpr kit

415rwhp/750 ft lbs trq (loaded mustang dyno)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 01:00 AM
PSN Veteran

do you have all the molding? i would be interested if so. great looking truck!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode