well water leaving spots - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

well water leaving spots

For those of you who use a well for your sprinkler system, do you have a problem with it leaving spots on your truck, especially your wheels? The overspray from the sprinkler heads gets on my truck and leaves water spots that are very hard or sometimes impossible to remove. My last set of rims was completely ruined by it, I spent 2 hours polishing them and the spots wouldn't come out. I think what's actually happening is that it eats away at the clear coat. I'm going crazy over this and so far the best solution I have it to drape towels over my rims every time I come home Anyone else have this problem, or a solution?

2007 F-250 CCLB Lariat FX4 6.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuekear View Post
I just blow my heads off the block once a year. Keeps nice clean antifreeze in it, although not that cost effective it sure is fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:32 AM
PSN Newb

Re: well water leaving spots

The spots are not eating away at the paint, its mineral deposits that are being left on the paint once the water dries.

Most polishing will take those spots out...depending on how bad they are you may have to use a compound. I did a Toyota that had the same issue, used Menzerna 203 with a Griots Garage polisher. Once the spots are removed, coating the truck with a good sealant, like Collinite IW845, will help keep the spots down, but you'll almost always end up with them.

2005 F-250 CC SB White V10
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 01:09 AM
PSN Local

We have hard water also,I now have my water softener hooked up on the front and rear of the house,before that I would and still do use the vinyl RV wheel covers for washing,I will wash the truck thene uncover theme and wash theme last,before I had a garage I would cover the wheels up with theme and they held up well through freezing winters and the hot summer.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Guess I'll just have to invest in some of those covers. It sucks to see the spots on the paint but I can usually get them out just by washing or sometimes waxing. The wheels are the real problem. I feel like my truck looks really dumb with the wheels covers but who cares what the neighbors think anyway

2007 F-250 CCLB Lariat FX4 6.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuekear View Post
I just blow my heads off the block once a year. Keeps nice clean antifreeze in it, although not that cost effective it sure is fun.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:52 PM
PSN Local

Who cares what neighbors think your the one who has to deal with it,that's like one of my friends who use to abuse his truck and always gave me #### for my truck always being so clean,needles to say when it came time to trade guess who was able to step up to a nicer truck and who got crap,all because he thought it was cool to take out his friends and beat on his truck,if you get frequent wind like we do you may want to put a lite duty bungee around the bottom of tire to keep it from flipping up,just make sure you get the vinyl type,I first tried the clear plastic type and they would crack in the cold.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode