best product to undercoat my excursion for salt protection(rustproofing) - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

best product to undercoat my excursion for salt protection(rustproofing)

Hello yall, i have this 01 excursion clean as a pin southern truck, i had it on the lift today steam cleaning it and just want to keep it rust free while im stationed up here in northern mi for the next 3 years. I havent driven it on the salty wet roads yet but i want to be able to and not worry about rust.

Right now its sittin on my lift completey steamcleaned and scrubbed with soap and water underneath. its clean as a pin. i want to get some sort of protection on it so i can drive it here.

what do yall use? i thought about the raptor bed liner by U-pol, i used it to do the interior on my k5 and i liked it but not sure how it would hold up to the salt spray? also not sure how well it would adhear under the truck cause theres a lot of bare metal like the frame and things like that. Im also going to be sraying the entire underbody with ospho first to take care of any surface rust that has started on the bare metal frame and a couple other minor spots.

2000 f250 ECSB Dually 4.10s 305/70/16, 4x4 7.3 zf6 200k miles
Php hydra chip PHP tuned! 4" exhaust, stock turbo(ww2, turbomaster wastage actuator, gutted ebpv), FRX, 160/30 sticks SB 1939-CB single clutch, home brew water setup for when i'm pulling hay through the mountains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 04:07 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: best product to undercoat my excursion for salt protection(rustproofing)

we did a street car in Al's liners and a golf cart, that stuff sticks to anything, so be careful, it don't come off, lol. I had to throw away alot of stuff, and its still stuck to the floor in spots.

Chris

Moore, Oklahoma

1996 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab PSD
6637 tymar
285-75-16 BFG All Terrains/Weld Wheels
3:55 gears
Automatic with billet convertor, tugger and alto discs
New Gearhead Tunes:
1 heavy tow
2 stealth mode
3 tow/econ
4 street perf
5 all out
6 high idle
1.0 housing
exhaust
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I WASNT IMPRESSED WITH AL'S, if it isnt exactly sanded right and cleaned to perfection it will come off in big sheets? at least thats how my rockers on my 97 dodge were. son as a gouge got in it the stuff peeled off...i found the raptor to be the same consistensy but seemed like it stuck better... i almost feel like i should just prime it and paint it, and just wash it good as i can every few weeks in the winter time? i just dont know what type of paint would hold up good and still shed salt and water easly when hosed off... i deffinatley want a good barier and somthing that is easy to clean....these excursions has so much freakin holes and pockets to hold salt and grime buildup its rediculous.... i must have got 30 pounds of dirt from over the years out of the under body holes when i first cleaned it under there the first time.

Php hydra chip PHP tuned! 4" exhaust, stock turbo(ww2, turbomaster wastage actuator, gutted ebpv), FRX, 160/30 sticks SB 1939-CB single clutch, home brew water setup for when i'm pulling hay through the mountains.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:51 PM
PSN Local

What about POR15 for at least the frame? Expensive but great stuff

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 08:20 PM
PSN Local

Comming from an area that takes many a truck from rust.....Rust Check or similar. you re apply it every fall and you will never have a problem. You MUST NOT used coatings that provide a hard protective sheet like finish, if you get a nick or gouge in it then the rest all looks good but all the metal underneath will be gone soon because it not only allows moisture and salt to get behind it it also holds the moisture with and continues to rot. The absolutly cheapest stuff to use would be really thick used oil. the stuff i like to use is called Rust Check and it is like a thin waxy oil that stays on very good. another product that would do good is something like the oily coating machine shops put on the machined surfaces when they ship parts out across the country. My 2 cents. you want the product to wick into all the seams and not harden to hold moisture behind it.

2011 F350 CC Dually, Lariat, ultimate package PSD, lock pick, line x, weather guard x box. Pic in avatar.

2000 xcab F250 PSD 4x4 not even close to stock, broken Feb 2011 (collision, write off)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 PM
PSN Newb

Check out Fluid Film. You have many options on how to apply the product and will find better prices online vs. buying from a store. I just started using this and I am pretty impressed. It can be somewhat expansive and may need to be reapplied depending on how often you are going to scrub the underside of the truck.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 09:40 PM
PSN Veteran

I'm a fan of the good 'ol spray it with oil, and drive down a dusty road method.

~Tom~ 02 F350 CCSB 4x4 SRW 7.3L, DIY-6637, PHP Phoenix-(STK-80dd-100P-120R-65T-40T) 4" TB-409SS MBRP, GS 3 in 1, EGT/Boost/Tranny, Fisher 8' MM2. Tymar HPX, NON-EBV Pedestal, Turbo Master, Wicked Wheel, Hutch/Harpoon, RR-Plenums/clamps, 203*TS and Billet Housing, ELC, Fumoto, CCV Dumped, Foil, AIH, and EBV, Pontoons All Missing...~AE w/Ford Pack~
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 09:43 PM
PSN Newb

I agree that some sort of oil is the best way to go. I love POR 15 but if it is not rusty underneath it will not stick. I like fluid film. You have to apply every year but its easy. Just spray everything underneath. I rinse underneath after a heavy salt but other than that your good to go. I have been using it for 2 years now and it seems to work great. Just my 2 cents.

01 F250 CC/SB
DIY Intake
Walker BTM
2.5" leveling kit
35" Hankook Dynapro atm
Glow shift gauges
TS chip with swamps tunes
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 10:14 PM
PSN Local

fluid film is also a very good product for this, stays liquid and works into door/ tailgate seams, displaces moisture, has to be reapplied at least every fall. a little pricy but very good.

2011 F350 CC Dually, Lariat, ultimate package PSD, lock pick, line x, weather guard x box. Pic in avatar.

2000 xcab F250 PSD 4x4 not even close to stock, broken Feb 2011 (collision, write off)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

thanks yall i think fluid film is the way im going to go.....i should be able to just spray it on thick in fall, ill probly end up detailing the truck in the middle of winter so ill reaply it then. a gallon should be plenty i would think for each season....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode