Rusted hole in roof leaks inside.... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Rusted hole in roof leaks inside....

Not sure if this should go here or fab.

Anyway my center clearance light is rusty as hell around the base... Since its on top I wasn't to worried. Until we had a good rain. Then every time I accelerated a few drops of water would drop from the lie-o-meters little plastic display.... I figure it has to be coming from this rusty patch.

How would y'all fix this? Ive never done any kind of body work before. I plan on learning to paint eventually so if I do any work on this I figure it might as well be my first project....

I would assume just wire wheel/sand away all the rusted crap metal then put fiberglass over it, but I don't think that will hold the clearance screws well.... Another thought is having to cut out the piece and weld a new piece of metal in there.... Like I said never done any fab work so I need thoughts. The body has a couple good rock dings and paint chips so I might as well Make a whole project out of it.... I will be learning to do everything from welding to fiberglass to paint...

My phone won't post pics with the auto guide app so if the description isnt good enough let me know and I'll post when I get home

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

01 F250 CCSB, BTS, ICON 4" on Bilsteins, 35" Toyo MT on 18" Fuel Hostage, DP F6 Tuner, 6637, 5" pipe, AIH delete, EBPV Delete, Recon Smoked lights all around, 35W Retro HIDS,

HEROS NEVER FALL.... THEY EARN THEIR WINGS.... RIP LCPL JASON D. HILL - IRONMAN, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. SEP 18 1990 -JUNE 11 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 12:59 PM
PSN Local

Re: Rusted hole in roof leaks inside....

IMO I would bring it to a body shop and see what they could do for you. It may cost a bit more but it would be done right then. Then if it leaks anymore its on them

Matt
2011 CC/LB King Ranch 6.7 White Tri Coat 4x4
Mods: Truck Nutz and dodge tow mirrors
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Intelligent Burro

Just had my 99 done. Removed cab lights, removed windshield, repaired rust around lights and windshield, repainted roof, installed new windshield. $800.

E99, F250, 7.3, CCLWB, Auto, manual 4x4, AIS intake, AD injectors, PHP FU, AIC, 3:73 gears. Autometer Gauges - (EGT, Trans Temp, Boost), Edge CTS

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

ya 800 bucks id rather spend on the tools to do the job.... so i can do whatever body work i need again down the road....

anybody

01 F250 CCSB, BTS, ICON 4" on Bilsteins, 35" Toyo MT on 18" Fuel Hostage, DP F6 Tuner, 6637, 5" pipe, AIH delete, EBPV Delete, Recon Smoked lights all around, 35W Retro HIDS,

HEROS NEVER FALL.... THEY EARN THEIR WINGS.... RIP LCPL JASON D. HILL - IRONMAN, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. SEP 18 1990 -JUNE 11 2011
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:54 PM
PSN Newb

The easiest way to do it is like you are thinking with fiberglass. Pull the light, grind out the rust, treat it.
Now use layers, at least 3 of fiberglass matting and resin. It will hold the light just fine.

The best way is pull the headliner down, cut out all of the rusty metal and weld in a patch.
Then of course fill and paint it. But that is so labor intensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 01:20 AM
STILL LEARNING

1st you need to find out if that is the spot that is the cause for the leak.

If it is.....

CUT out the RUST and weld or Bond in a new piece of METAL

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode