Fender flare adhesive - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Fender flare adhesive

Took off my flares a few months ago. Any body have any leads on good chemical removers? Looks like the post below says something about an eraser wheel, but I'm looking for a chemical fix on the cheap. It's just a few spots where the 3m adhesive didn't come off, so nothing big, but still hard tonget off. Appreciate any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 04:54 PM
PSN Local

Re: Fender flare adhesive

A little paint thinner will soffen up the glue and a little bit of rubbing and it will come right off..
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Zrock- that wont strip my clearcoat or damage my existing finish will it?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 01:37 PM
'05 Excursion

I would use WD-40 as I'd be worried about what paint thinner would do to the finish. I've used WD-40 lots of times to remove road tar and adhesive from stickers.

SCT, no studs...yet, Dual OEM intake air filter housings, Banks intercooler & intake elbow, Banks exhaust syatem, Windrunner ported intake manifold, Bullet Proof Diesel remote oil cooler & thermostat, AirDog2 (plus a couple spares), Power steering filter (Amsoil dual-bypass), MagTec deep ATF pan, Electric oil pre-lub pump, Dakota Digital gauges.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 06:54 PM
PSN Veteran

3M Adhesive Remover, you can buy it at NAPA or just about any other parts store.

2012 F-150 XLT Ecoboost SuperCrew 6.5' 4x4
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 07:03 PM
PSN Veteran

I am real hesitant to use any chemical compounds. I have had bad experiences with some chemicals that were paint friendly. The erasure actually is the quickest remedy I have seen yet. I have taken several 3M stainless rocker panels off and it works great. No paint damage, you would be surprised at how fast it works.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 07:13 PM
PSN Veteran

Factory paint will not be damaged by those chemicals, only lesser aftermarket paint compounds like lacquer or enamel would be. I have used 3M Adhesive Remover, Lacquer Thinner, and Mineral Spirits and none have done any harm to factory paint on my Super Duty.

2012 F-150 XLT Ecoboost SuperCrew 6.5' 4x4
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Administrator

I always start with WD-40 and work up

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 01:04 PM
PSN Newb

Believe it or not Goof Off Gel works great with no problems to the clear coat or paint. just go easy with it as a little works well.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 05:22 AM
PSN Local

I agree with layson, I purchased the 3m eraser for my drill and it takes anything off windows or paint without damaging the surface. You can buy it at napa for around 30 dollars.

1996 F-350 cclb, H2E, e-fuel, srp1.1, custom tuning, banks intercooler, 3 in plenums, swamps babies, ARP's, comp 910's, Isspro EV2's, rsk v/c codes, 5 inch exhaust, king ranch seats, SD 10.5 axle, swamps idm, 6.0 fan, international w/p, hydroboost, SD trans lines, 6.0 trans cooler,6.0 P.S. pump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode