Best way to clean/polish diamond plate toolbox? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Best way to clean/polish diamond plate toolbox?

Well i got a nice deep Better Built diamond plate aluminum toolbox for free, and i wanna clean it up before i put it in the truck. It doesn't look like its ever been polished or really cleaned before. So its dull and has some light corrosion on it. I used some Mothers Powermetals Aluminum polish(works wonders on sleds) on a clean shop towel, and it gave it some shine back but there are still little corrosion spots on it. Not to mention the fact that it takes forever and the diamonds rip the crap out of the shop towel.

So whats the best way to clean it up? I want to get the thing to shine like crazy and have a mirror finish, but i also want the shine to last and be able to maintain it since we live in the land of snow and salt. Its just sitting in the garage and i'm not in a hurry to get it put in, so i have plenty of time to mess with it.

Jimmy
97 F-250 ECLB 7.3/E4OD/4wd, 215k miles: FFD 250/200%'s, Swamps IDM, built trans, shimmed 910's, Melling LPOP, welded cam gear/modified pick-up tube, Homemade e-fuel/intake/exhaust/traction bars, D66, Built and tuned by me

97 ECSB F-250 project truck. Current plans: 7.3, BTS, 250/2's, 468, stock bottom end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 12:06 AM
diesel fiend

Re: Best way to clean/polish diamond plate toolbox?

00 grade steel wool and some type of liquid metal polish, like diamond brite or white diamond . Works wonders on old diamond plate.

05 F350 9" 4 link , 37's , 4.56 's php and gearhead tuned
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 12:17 AM
PSN Local

Brightest silver paint you can find. I hate polishing......

casey, 2001 f250 lariat, 7.3, 130 k, 4" turbo back, wicked wheel, ccv delete, AIH delete, wildman tunes SOLD

08 f150 lariat..practical

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Ive thought about getting steel wool, but wanted to see if there is any other methods.

And i don't like polishing, but i loooove the look of it. Plus if i polish it then give it a good wax, it should hold up for a while.

Jimmy
97 F-250 ECLB 7.3/E4OD/4wd, 215k miles: FFD 250/200%'s, Swamps IDM, built trans, shimmed 910's, Melling LPOP, welded cam gear/modified pick-up tube, Homemade e-fuel/intake/exhaust/traction bars, D66, Built and tuned by me

97 ECSB F-250 project truck. Current plans: 7.3, BTS, 250/2's, 468, stock bottom end
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:10 AM
PSN Veteran

subscribed,

I got some MetalWax Tried it today with poor results, It came with outdoor carpet as an applicator and I only had one.. so I went to get more to give it one more try
We'll see how it turns out.. my 6 month old box already looks like chit so if this doesn't work I need to find a alternative.

96'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
F250 Some stuff
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I used steel wool, then polished it with Mothers Powermetal polish and it worked great. But i spent an hour on one pretty small spot. Looks great, just gonna take me a while.

Jimmy

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 04:07 PM
PSN Veteran

we have some stuff that we use at the fire house on the diamond plate...its amazing...takes a little elbow greese but well worth it...il find out what it is called tonight...and post it up tomorrow...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 01:06 AM
diesel fiend

I am painting mine black this week , sick of polishing it .

05 F350 9" 4 link , 37's , 4.56 's php and gearhead tuned
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:22 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3020 View Post
Well i got a nice deep Better Built diamond plate aluminum toolbox for free, and i wanna clean it up before i put it in the truck. It doesn't look like its ever been polished or really cleaned before. So its dull and has some light corrosion on it. I used some Mothers Powermetals Aluminum polish(works wonders on sleds) on a clean shop towel, and it gave it some shine back but there are still little corrosion spots on it. Not to mention the fact that it takes forever and the diamonds rip the crap out of the shop towel.

So whats the best way to clean it up? I want to get the thing to shine like crazy and have a mirror finish, but i also want the shine to last and be able to maintain it since we live in the land of snow and salt. Its just sitting in the garage and i'm not in a hurry to get it put in, so i have plenty of time to mess with it.
any truck stops,truck wash,or custom truck shops(semi's)in your area?if you can find someone that polishes semi wheels they can do it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 f-350 psd
96 f-350 psd
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:32 AM
<----Nice headlights!!!

Yeah this:

Thats what I put in mine. Had the bright version kept it clean for a year and then hated it. Never again! If you already have one clean it real good and get it acid dipped, hit it with some self-etching primer, and then paint it!

I spent ten years of my lift polishing dp on trucks and my dads semi and my 6whlr for my pool company. Uggggh...no chrome wheels for me either..lol

There is no 'easy' way if thats what you're asking. Steel wool..then a cloth diaper is the best way...

2000 F250 4x4 cc/sb. 6" w/37's and some other stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in