Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

03 7.3 Excursion high pitched sound?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  410customs 
#1 ·
Hey all,
I was running my 03 Excursion today coming home from northern Michigan pulling our 33' Jayco trailer when the transmission downshifted while going up a hill and at 3000 rpm there was a high pitched , I don't know if I would call it a squeal but it sounded very metallic. The instant that the transmission up shifted and the RPM's went down the squeal went away. It did this twice. I'm wondering turbo or transmission?
Last year I put a Mishimoto oil cooler on the trans and it had a full flush and filter change about a month ago. Along with new engine oil, filter and I put on one of those hpop crossover tubes in it as well. The camper is about 6500-7000 lbs. The truck has been cared for meticulously by myself and the one previous owner. 245k miles. Is this too vague of a description to the noise or has someone else experienced it also?

#3 ·
Check to see if the exhaust is hitting the frame anywhere. Also check for soot on the up pipes.

#4 ·
Was it a turbo noise??
My excursion has made this metallic turbo wheel noise a couple of times while towing, just like you describe
The turbo on our excursion has also been known to "flutter" under load on long grades at higher boost.
I figure the turbo needs to be rebuilt
The sound to me sounds like the compressor wheel rubbing the housing!!!
I have yet to look in there....too many projects the excursion will have her day.

Very metalic sounding, exactly as you describe, happens when downshifting and towing long grades under boost......first time I thought "OH CRAP there goes the turbo"
Year later happened again I'm like "Oh crap there goes the turbo"
Third time I'm like "ah well she just does that sometimes."
Borrowed time, a noise like that is not normal operating proceedure

#5 ·
This---^ That is exactly what I experienced! We were going up a grade when the truck downshifted and the metallic whine sounded like the turbo does at times in tone (light tone) but this time it was LOUD. Exactly like something was scraping as you described. I haven't heard it while just driving and my wife didn't hear it last year when she towed the camper up multiple mountain passes in it while following me in the moving truck. Good to hear you haven't had any further issues since you've experienced it. If it is the turbo, I wonder if it may need a whole new one in the future or it could be rebuilt in the garage at home.

#7 ·
rebuilt it
I have rebuilt 5 or 6 of them now
It takes longer to remove it then it does to rebuild it
I need to rebuild the one in our Excursion also

You may remove the air intake tube and have a look see make sure the compressor wheel is still tight on the shaft and not "out of round" or bitched up
It should have a slight amount of in and out play but almost no up and down

I actually really enjoy rebuilding these turbo's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.