Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Does it matter where I buy a GTP38 turbo from?

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  ​ DieselDC 
#1 ·
Iv been looking online and the prices vary from $350 on ebay to $1450 from Swamps. Is there any difference in quality?

#2 ·
Yes there is. Ebay is good but the source must be reputable. For $350 you’re asking for trouble.

Swamps as you mentioned, cncfab, riffraff, diesel site etc

Diesel has a nice ball bearing for $1200. You can’t go wrong with them. Bob is a standup guy.

I don’t know the offerings for swamps but again, Jonathan will stand behind anything he sells.
@corey@cncfab same deal. He will take care of you too. He might even give you a better deal with a kcturbo and fuel lines (wink wink) a just ask him.

If you’re gonna spend that kinda dough, ya might as well go kcturbo. It’s only $300 more. $1500. I have one. Kicks (__!__).

Good luck!

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

#9 ·
I'll be waiting for the videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/sphinx4785
A 38R Is typically a upgraded turbo with ball bearings, different wheel, etc. Nowadays most people hate them, not as much as the hate on a 66. Lol
There are considerably better options out now though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

#10 ·
If I can get a sponsor on board Id gladly do a t4 conversion. I dont mind buying the turbo but Id rather have a t4 kit rather then trying to fab one myself. Iv tried contacting Irate and havent heard back. Im excited about the switchblade setup. Im just trying to get the most bang for the buck. I can send them the stock one and they'll convert it and put a larger wheel in it and I think they're going to put a different compressor housing but Im not sure. My thought is that a switchblade conversion on a 38r or a t4 would be a lot better than modifying the stock one.
thank you for watching!

#11 ·
Never heard of switchblade. No one will come on board unless your re big, making #s, repping on the drag strip.

There are only three options

1. Gtp38r ball bearing
2.Kcturbo1 ($1200), stg2 ($1500)
3. T4 custom

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

#12 ·
On the blaylock website, says the switchblade is a customized vgt turbo.

​ DieselDC;6111865 said:
There are only three options

1. Gtp38r ball bearing
2.Kcturbo1 ($1200), stg2 ($1500)
3. T4 custom
Is the 66 as well......
While it's widely hated, mine was great.
Imo, he has enough following to get something done. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

#13 ·
We have done dozens and dozens of 500-600hp builds typically use the KC38R. The updated version has done very well. My shop truck dynod 553/1131tq with the setup you are doing and I even had a cracked head. Lol.

Here a pic of a customer truck we just did this week. Swamps 238/100, KC38R, and the rest of the normal supporting mods towing his 37' 14k 5'er camper at 55mph. We put in a custom built Haisley Machine dual disk clutch too.

Shoot me a PM, I may be interested in sending you some things.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: 79jasper
#17 ·
I’m not a fan of my 66. But I don’t have a lot of things in my favor either. Just buy the kc38r.

The gt38r is a non rebuildable ball bearing turbo. It’s kind of dated on design. The d66 is hot and Smokey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.