1987 F-150 Barn Fresh Resurrection - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

1987 F-150 Barn Fresh Resurrection

The condensed and continuing story of my 1987 F-150.
Truck was manufactured 2/87, and sold to my grandfather 11/2/87. It is a 2 wheel drive, 5.0L EFI, with an AOD. It was very well cared for by my grandpa, until he passed away in 2000. Then it was only driven to take my grandmother to doctors and for groceries or to the hairdresser, about once a week. She passed in 2006.
The truck was backed in her barn, and left until spring 2009. At this time, I found myself in need of a commuter, as I had registered in a trade school about 50 miles from home. It was a good reason to spend some time getting it running again.

In loving memory of "Paw" and "Grammy". I miss them every day.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Lt.Dan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Re: 1987 F-150 Barn Fresh Resurrection

NOTE- Not all pictures were taken at the time of repairs. Some are added as an aid for explanation.
@Dustybumpers feel free to chime in with your knowledge and experience or pictures whenever you want. Thanks for talking me into this.

Dustybumpers likes this.
post #3 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

So it is 2009, starting to get warm outside, and my old f-250 at 9 mpg doesn't look like a great option for running to school. So the poor little 87 gets a new used battery, a quick fluid check, and driven 10 miles to the shop. A good wash job, interior and under hood included, and a thorough assessment of the sitting disease.

Damages- intake gaskets leaking coolant at rear of engine, thankfully no contamination in the oil.

Mice chewed on the injector wires.

A/C is lukewarm

Needs oil change

Odd sucking noise during acceleration

Wiper blades, one turn signal bulb, other minor incidentals.

Found receipts in the truck for dealer repairs and shop repairs of loose LF wheel bearing. Hmmmm.

Radiator is leaking around the tanks.

Gas is a little old but smells ok, and seems to run fine. Will burn it out and change the filters.

post #4 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Ok, time for repairs. Parts have been aquired, Fel Pro intake set, all filters, air, fuel, oil and breather, plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor, and we're off.
Replaced the intake gaskets as per instructions, little dab of RTV in the corners, and torqued to spec. (See later posts on this, spoiler alert, didn't work out)

Lower intake 3/8 bolts- 22-30 ft-lbs
5/16 bolts- 19-25 ft lbs
Upper intake to lower intake bolts- 15-22 ft-lbs

Was very careful and removed the A/C compressor and layed it aside without disconnecting the hoses.

Under the intake around the lifters and the oil tray was very sludged up from a lifetime of Grandfather's Penzoil. Cleaned thoroughly and refilled with Mystic.

Repaired injector wires, without removing the harness from the truck, by carefully removing the little rubber plug from the back of the connectors, and soldering in new wire as needed. Everything coated with dialectric grease on installation.

post #5 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:43 AM
PSN Veteran

Nice interior , I had a few of that body style truck . Nice truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blue-Truck-Nut97 likes this.
post #6 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Still doing this at night after work, working 7 days a week, trying to save dollars.

Removed radiator, and at the suggestion of my Father, decided to re-crimp the tanks. Using a set of vise-grips, set the jaws over the crimp, and tighten the screw. Release jaws, turn the screw almost 1 turn tighter, then clamp the jaws over the crimp. Work completely around the offending tank until done, taking care not to damage the header. ( Yes this works, that radiator is still in the truck 8/10/19)

Ok, re-assembly and tune up complete, fill with fresh oil and coolant, change air filter, and find my odd sucking noise. Pre filter air box and intake packed full of dog food. Thank you rodents.

Time to time.

Using the service manual as a guide, I removed the SPOUT connector, ( yeah, what's that? I'll include a picture) which is a little black stub, in a plug, in the distributor wiring harness near the distributor. Once removed, the computer cannot control the timing.

Removed SPOUT connector, installed timing light on cyl 1, set timing at 10* BTDC. Installed SPOUT connector and done.

post #7 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Nice interior , I had a few of that body style truck . Nice truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks buddy! It's almost like driving a Lincoln.

longjonsilver likes this.
post #8 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

After a successful test drive, no leaks found, serviced the front wheel bearings, changed the brake pads, inspected rear brakes, topped off A/C with flea market Freeze 12, all is well. I'm happy to have it back on the road, and on to the next adventure.

post #9 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Fast forward a couple months. I'm heading home on the freeway early in the afternoon, and she sputters and dies. Like it's out of gas. Starts back up on the shoulder, and we're off again. Until it does it again. Repeat the process until I'm almost home. Then she's dead for good. Roadside diagnosis with my limited availability of tools, shows all three fuel pumps to be running, but no pressure at the fuel rail. Fuel filter is still clean. Walk home 3 miles. Get Dad's roll back, and retrieve myself.

By unhooking fuel lines and pressure testing, determined the problem to be in the tank selector valve, that I now know is called an FDM, fuel delivery module.

It's in the driver's side frame rail, just ahead of the front fuel tank. It looks like it should have a fuel filter in the bottom canister, but doesn't.

This is a pressure operated valve, using the in tank pump at roughly 6 lbs, to change the fuel flow. The switch on the dash only controls the gage and the in tank pumps.

They can stick and over fill one tank, or stick closed and kill the truck, as I now know.

Had to obtain a new unit from Ford,(in 2009) however I understand that they are now unavailable from the dealer, so I included a Doorman listing, which I have not tried to order.

post #10 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Another month goes by, no troubles until, it develops a random hard start condition. Completely random, but by letting the fuel pump run a bit before I turn the key to start, it usually starts. Drive it until it's a constant hard start problem, then put a fuel pressure tester on it.

Test- Connect pressure gauge to the Schrader valve on the fuel rail.

At the Data connector, ground the fuel pressure test terminal. This makes the pumps run constantly when the key is on, unless you have a wiring problem.

Turn key on and listen for constant pump operation, high pressure, and in tank, (switch tanks and check both). I'm reading about 30 lbs, and it drops instantly after shutting the pumps off. I know the in tank pumps are working at this point. Checked for kinked or broken fuel lines, checked filter, all good.

Preformed Fuel Regulator underpressure test- Same as a pressure test, but done with the fuel return line blocked downstream of the FPR. If pressure rises substantially, the FPR is bad.

Pressure does not rise. Which indicates a bad pump. But, more testing is needed, because it failed the Engine off Static Pressure test as well.

Knowing my high pressure pump is weak, I change it first, and re test.

With a new pump, pressure is within spec, which calls for 35-45 lbs. And as a bonus, it passes the static pressure test, which calls for pressure within 5lbs of spec, for 1 minute after shutting off the engine.

I should note here, I installed a Napa pump at first, but it was incredibly noisy. After 3 pumps, my Napa store returned my money, and I bought one at Auto Zone. This was in late 2009, product lines are surely different by now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in