Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

97 7.3 started knocking and rolling a gray smoke

600 views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  Mr.Stroker 
#1 ·
Trucks had a problem for 5 years now of white smoke on start up and idleing rough until it warms up also cuts out when flooring it with the chip turned up so I just installed new injectors 2 years ago thinking it would fix it but didn't. Now with that out of the way last night I was getting off the highway and when I let off it started knocking but kinda went away after u get up to 55 but then starts knocking bad at idle and then I noticed it was rolling a grayish white smoke bad. Sounds like injector knock to me but u can hear it really loud out of the exhaust and when I shut it of I could hear a grinding noise from the turbo until it stoped spinning. But I can spin the wheel freely and has no shaft play and won't make the knock anymore that it's cold but still runs rough and smokes like crazy any help would be appreciated

#2 ·
Well I looked into it more and the turbo dose have play in the shaft so I'm getting a new one got some help from a buddy today the truck was injector knocking plugged the scanner up and ran a buzz test got a open circuit code on cylinders 1 and 2 so we tested the vc harness and injectors with a multimeter they passed then we unhooked the harness from the idm and tested that and it passed so were thinking a bad Idm but was wondering if anyone else had some info

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.