Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Someone take a look at this!

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  amccloud 
#1 ·
Recently bought a 96 zf5 truck and while installing the new downpipe I noticed a pair of vice grips on what I'm think in the ebpv actuator. Has anyone seen this before?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
hahaha! that pic is kinda hard to see as an atachment, but i guess somebody had a little bit of trouble and got tired of messing with it lol :p if you remove it and you can't build much boost then you'll know :D

by the way, welcome to the forum!

#5 ·
Yep, odds are that a previous owner had a problem with it and used the vicegrips and then forgot about them.

You can wire it open or if you pull the turbo you can gut it and be done with it. It really isn't needed.

#9 ·
Yes... my guess is was pissin the previous owner off coming on all the time (or too much for them) so they "locked" it open with the vise grips, novel way to keep'er open. My '96 cycles too often for my liking even when it's not that cold out and acts like an engine retarder. I'm thinking it's an early 96 engine build and the stock programming parameters are an early version and updates PCM versions don't trigger as much (or trigger in colder temps). If you plan on keeping it I'd gut the pedistal and the flap out of the exhaust flow. Or an alternative is to put in a manual over ride switch and use as an exhaust brake as it's a ZF5. Just be careful not to built too much back pressure using as an engine retarder as it could float your valves.... e.g. Big load steep grade flap activated and rpms near redline.

jrc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.