Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Sending unit help

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  madpogue 
#1 ·
I've tried googling and the search tool but I've got nothing, so I hope somebody can help me out. I need to replace both tanks and both sending units in my 97 f350 cclb powerstroke. My problem is that I can't find anywhere on google a new sending unit to buy.
I've read on another forum that you can use a gasoline sending unit as a replacement for a diesel sensing unit there's just different wires and a different filter. Is this true? Has anyone done this?
If so, where in the world can I buy them, I need front and rear both stock sized tanks. I hope someone has some information that is more helpful than what I've been able to find.
Thanks in advance guys.

#2 ·
I've tried googling and the search tool but I've got nothing, so I hope somebody can help me out. I need to replace both tanks and both sending units in my 97 f350 cclb powerstroke. My problem is that I can't find anywhere on google a new sending unit to buy.

I've read on another forum that you can use a gasoline sending unit as a replacement for a diesel sensing unit there's just different wires and a different filter. Is this true? Has anyone done this?

If so, where in the world can I buy them, I need front and rear both stock sized tanks. I hope someone has some information that is more helpful than what I've been able to find.

Thanks in advance guys.

Here's a sending unit...

http://usdieselparts.com/i-23993163...ing-unit-19-gallon-plastic-tank-aft-axle.html

Andddd here's some tanks....

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...urbocharged,1127090,fuel+&+air,fuel+tank,6268

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#3 ·
Are you sure you're talking about a sending unit and not a fuel pump module? The filter part makes me think youre actually talking about the entire module. Anyway, it makes sense that the sending units would be nearly the same, but not the module. You can bet those are going to be different.

Did you try Orileys? Or any of the parts guys? I know they can be a little lazy sometimes. Just find one that actually wants your business.

#4 ·
Thank you guys, I've had no trouble finding tanks haha but thanks for another link.
As far as what I need, I only need the sending unit. However, due to the age of the truck and the fact that I'm almost certain they've never been touched before, I'd like to replace the entire unit that goes into the tank. The sending units, pick up and return, filter screen, etc.
Is that something I'd have to piece together or can you buy that whole unit somewhere? I apologize for not clarifying what I was really looking to do I was putting that in before work and had other things on my mind.
Thanks again!

#6 ·
For the OBS trucks they are labeled "Fuel Sending Unit" and not a fuel pump module since there is no fuel pump involved in the unit in the tank.

I would go down to your local Ford dealer and have the parts guy look them up for you. Some are discontinued and no longer available but if you can get a part number you might be able to cross reference it.

#10 ·
Well, I checked the resistance and it was not what it was supposed to be in the full or empty position. That being said, I did a little more looking around and decided it would be a good idea to check the fuel gauge as well. When I checked the resistance on the fuel gauge itself and that was off too. Quite honestly, there is a chance I have totally misdiagnosed the problem (I'm not a mechanic unfortunately). However, I followed the wires from tanks to dash as best I could and saw no breaks or anything of the sort with those. That is why I believe that the sending units are the fault of the problem and a new gauge may also need to be rounded up.

#12 ·
Since this site won't let me link to the other PowerStroke site, (just add Army), here's a quote of the post, however the link doesn't work:

"Andy Russell
330-813-0117
AJRussell001@yahoo.com

I googled him and found his site.
http://ajrussell001.wix.com/russell-...t-a-quote/c1b5

One of my sending units was bad as you can tell. Cost was $75 for him to sandblast the rust, replace the rheostat, replace the float and ship back to me. Not sure what else he did to it. He also fixed my other sending unit, but I believe the rheostat only needed cleaned up on it.

Both sending units work as they should. My gauge reads 1/8-1/4 past full when my tanks are full, and by the time I get to half tank on the gauge, it seems more like 1/3 tank left because it seems to go pretty quick. I'm not sure if its just a difference between Andy's rheostat's and the Ford OEM one, or maybe I just don't remember as clearly about how the Ford rheostat behaved.

I would use Andy again."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.