Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Cooling issues

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  fastmust88 
#1 ·
I am running a 96 that has been modified a lot. The truck pulling trailers runs to hot "coolant wise" for comfort. I have changed the front of the truck to fit an all aluminum radiator out of the 99-03 trucks w/the fan clutch and shroud. I have an 05 intercooler in front of that with 2 tranny coolers(only because space behind the grill is limited, and the A/C unit sits between the intercooler and radiator like normal for the truck. Pulling about 9,000lbs or so yesturday at 60-70mph the truck will run 230-270 up grades and then on flats it will go back down to normal 200-210. I can keep the EGT's of the truck under 1250 and still have plenty of power to pull the hills.

Any help?

Sorry about the long thread just trying to give a good idea of the truck.

#4 ·
You may try running a lower temp thermostat. How about your water pump ? is it the original pump ? My truck was running hot awhile back and the water pump seemed to be fine but I pulled it off anyways and found that the impeller was eroded away pretty bad.

#5 ·
All parts are new. I had electric fans on it last year and they really didn't work. The truck lost the tranny the end of last year, and so I finnaly replaced it with a new BTS and at the same time I chaged the water pump T stat and put the fan, shroud and fan clutch (all from ford) in it with all new coolant. I have even grinded down the front grill some to open it up more. I am just wondering with all the stuff in the front of the truck if the radiator just isnt getting enough air.

#6 ·
Even with all that stuff up there I would'nt think it would be an issue, your fan will still pull alot of air through the radiator, although with all that stuff in front of the radiator it may be preheating the air quite abit so by the time it gets to the radiator your pulling pretty hot air through it. I've had alot of equipment over the years and with it alot of overheating issues and one of the first things I do is change the thermostat even if its brand new. I think thermostats cuase alot of problems. You may try changing it agian. Just my 0.02

#7 ·
I will look into it. I think the one I have is the 200, might try the 185. Looking for a different transcooler setup that will fit that I can get down lower to not push that hot air through also. Looking for Ideas.

Thanks

#8 ·
have you had the rad cleaned out? when I took mine in to the rad shop and cleaned they sid there was 3 inches of crud in the bottom of it. it was sand and junk from the motor castings. and slime

might want to check out you clutch on you fan also.

#9 ·
:whs: I had the same issue a few yrs. ago, would only run hot when pulling trailers, soooo after a new T-sat, fan clutch, water pump, I pulled the radiator, it was pluged and needed going thru:mad::mad:, so in the end I spent $600 to fix a $70 problem:doh::pointlaugh:, have your radiater checked first!!

stay safe out there
Roy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.