Hello all - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Hello all

Hello everyone, im new here to PSN and im joining to share my experiences and get some help with my recent purchase of a 1996 f-350 crew cab PSD. this particular truck i just bought was my buddys he bought brand new back in 99 with 4000 miles on it. it now has 550,000 miles on it. he is not known to take care of bodys very well but he always was strick about taking care of it mechanically. with 550,000 it has almost no blow by. my plan for the truck is to rebuild it from the ground up and make it a king ranch tribute truck. (always loved the king ranches) i have already done alot of research and have a huge parts list and great ideas for it. long story short im going with a sky mfg reverse shackle w/sd springs at 4in, all body parts are being replace except cab, changing from 4.10 to 3.73 ring and pinion, putting a torson carrier in the rear ford sterling and a e-locker in the front D60 (not going off roading much but i live in florida and it dont take much to get stuck in sand or mud in the pasture and ive learned my torson in my 1500 chevy has been a life saver), the motor is being replaced with a ccp long block blueprint 7.3 headstudded, im putting stage 2 dynomite 160cc 40% injectors, adrenaline HPOP, Driven diesel fuel system, TS Performance 6 Pos switch, banks power pack turbo system w/intercooler (i want to turn this truck up a bit to close to where the new trucks are and make about 400hp-450hp nothing crazy just mostly for when im towing), im puting Grand rock power flow dual curved 5in matte black stacks on it, im replacing all the body bushings, switching to mishimoto trans inter-cooler for a 6.0 and and a mishimoto radiator, orignally it had an E4OD trans that got stolen when the truck was parked at his buddy house so im gonna try to cram a ZF6 behind it with a new process 271 transfer case, (i prefer a manual when towing plus the ZF6 is alot more HD than the E4OD especially since im turning the motor up), im getting it painted the King Ranch Brown and Gold metallic, im also putting the original 16in aluminum SWB wheels back on it and gonna run 33in Ironman M/T tires unless it looks like too small of a tire then i will go with a 35in ( ive had great experience with these on road. they do get noisy but they have always been a smooth ride on my chevy), im going to repaint all the interior plastic with the same color code brown paint and put 2016 king ranch seats inside it, im gonna be doing alot of my own personal custom home made interior designing with lots of wood trim. there might be some things i missed or forgot to mention but the goal is to have a relatively stock looking truck on the outside with a decked out interior and a motor tuned up to be close to the power of the new trucks. this truck i plan on making me last the next 30 years if i can. if yall have any questions for me please ask away i have a pretty good idea where im going with it and know how to do most of it myself but i do have a few questions regarding the build that i will post in the other thread pages. other than that im happy to meet you all and i thank you all before hand for having me on your fourm. hope people enjoy following my build. btw i have a youtube channel that i will be posting videos on of my progress as it comes. my youtube channel is CowboyNation1977. im uploading the first video on the truck today but it pretty much explains everything i just mentioned on this fourm but feel free to check the channel out and please subscribe and hit the notification bell to know when i make new updates. thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190813_164737.jpg (25.4 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 02:55 PM
PSN intsigator

Re: Hello all

Welcome to the nation from WNC
CowboyNation1977 likes this.

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 03:09 PM
PSN Local

Cowboy,

Welcome to the Nation... one thought for you as you are thinking about a ZF6 speed. That box has a pretty deep overdrive gear. As it looks like you wish to do some towing with the truck you may want to consider sticking with the 4.10 with the 35 inches tires.

Cj

1997 F350 CCLB 7.3, Eaton Fuller RTO-6610, 4x4, 3.54, otherwise stock

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 03:14 PM
PSN Local

Howdy and welcome from Texas!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfisher View Post
Cowboy,

Welcome to the Nation... one thought for you as you are thinking about a ZF6 speed. That box has a pretty deep overdrive gear. As it looks like you wish to do some towing with the truck you may want to consider sticking with the 4.10 with the 35 inches tires.

Cj
why do you say that? when ive done my reasearch with the gear ratios it doesnt come out too bad. i will do some towing but it mostly will be once a month and about 10,000-15,000lbs. the only reason i figured 3.73 was for better highway mpg unloaded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2019-09-25-00-26-21.jpg (6.7 KB, 8 views)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

thank you all for welcoming me
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 07:32 PM
PSN Local

Cowboy,

Unfortunately, pictures on this site are a bugger.. I'm not able to read your thumbnail. Is that a web calculator? Looks pretty slick. One way to get around the link thing... type it in like powerstrokenation-dot-com. My recommendation is based on a towing speed of 65 MPH keeping the engine speed above 1800 rpm. Perhaps with your planned upgrades it won't be an issue. My truck is stock motor-wise so towing with 35 inch tires (I have 32 inch tires) would lug the engine (I have 3.55s) in 6th gear. The fuel mapping does not seem to allow for much turbo spool up at that rpm (trying to keep smoke down?). Playing with a spread sheet:
3.73, 35 inch tires, [email protected] rpm in 6th gear
3.73, 35 inch tires, [email protected] rpm in 5th gear

4.10, 35 inch tires, [email protected] rpm in 6th gear
4.10, 35 inch tires, [email protected] rpm in 5th gear

I guess it depends on whether on not you want to tow in 6th gear. But then I may be up in the night. Best of Luck. I'll be interested to see how everything shakes out on your truck.

Cj
heavydoc and CowboyNation1977 like this.

1997 F350 CCLB 7.3, Eaton Fuller RTO-6610, 4x4, 3.54, otherwise stock
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 07:42 PM
Project Shamu

I have 4.10s on 35s and tow about 13,000, and I actually want to go to 4.30s. I would definitely not want to go to a taller gearset.
heavydoc and CowboyNation1977 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 07:46 PM
PSN intsigator

I've got 3.73 in my 02 and hate it. I want 4.10 and it will tow much better. But I am on 235/85 R16

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfisher View Post
Cowboy,

Unfortunately, pictures on this site are a bugger.. I'm not able to read your thumbnail. Is that a web calculator? Looks pretty slick. One way to get around the link thing... type it in like powerstrokenation-dot-com. My recommendation is based on a towing speed of 65 MPH keeping the engine speed above 1800 rpm. Perhaps with your planned upgrades it won't be an issue. My truck is stock motor-wise so towing with 35 inch tires (I have 32 inch tires) would lug the engine (I have 3.55s) in 6th gear. The fuel mapping does not seem to allow for much turbo spool up at that rpm (trying to keep smoke down?). Playing with a spread sheet:
3.73, 35 inch tires, [email protected] rpm in 6th gear
3.73, 35 inch tires, [email protected] rpm in 5th gear

4.10, 35 inch tires, [email protected] rpm in 6th gear
4.10, 35 inch tires, [email protected] rpm in 5th gear

I guess it depends on whether on not you want to tow in 6th gear. But then I may be up in the night. Best of Luck. I'll be interested to see how everything shakes out on your truck.

Cj
yes this is a calculator i used its pretty nifty. it is usually used to calculate how to set up shift points for a auto but i used it to find out my gear ratios and speeds relative to rpm and gear. i also used another website to determine my actual ration late the other night but now looking over it again i think i see what yall mean. i know the pics dont look too good but it lays out something like this.

The Diesel ZF6
Low: 5.79:1
1st: 3.30:1
2nd: 2.10:1
3rd: 1.31:1
4th: 1:1
OD: 0.72:1
@2000RPM here is my speeds relitive to gear with 3.73 ratio
Low: 10mph
1st: 17mph
2nd: 27mph
3rd: 43mph
4th: 56mph
OD: 78mph

With a 3.73 ring and pinion and 35in tires my actual ratio is 3.41 the recommended ratio for the ring and pinion is a 4.08.

my inputs into the calc at the time were:
New tire dia 35in
Old tire dia 32 (original tire size ive read from forums)
Current gear ratio 3.73

this gives me an actual ratio of 3.41.
my recommended to keep it stock would be a 4.08 ring and pinion.
if i wanted a higher ratio they say 3.71 ring and pinion.
if i want a lower ratio they recommend 4.45

this is where i got my idea of keeping the 3.73 ring and pinion.
i wanted my highway speeds up unloaded.
i dont mind only going 60-65mph when loaded (i think its safer anyways) and didnt think i would use OD cause you dont use that anyways in an auto loaded.
plus i didnt think i would lug out much since i planned on turning up the motor to over twice what it came from the factory and as far as i knew (i could be wrong) i was pretty sure the new diesels were 3.73 ring and pinion with the option for 4.11 if you did alot of towing.

please lmk if my logic is wrong and im missing something. im always open to learning. and again thank you all for your comments and help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2019-09-25-00-26-21.jpg (6.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2019-09-25-00-53-54.jpg (5.9 KB, 4 views)
Kowboy likes this.

Last edited by CowboyNation1977; 09-28-2019 at 08:47 PM. Reason: added more info including ratios and gearing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode