6.0 help - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

6.0 help

Hey everyone, I am new to here and have a question about the way my truck is acting and was wondering if anyone could help. I bought a 2005 6.0 f250 with 115k miles back in february. I am no expert on diesels but it passed the eye test with flying colors. The engine was in great shape, no leaks, no blow by, drove well, etc. I've put 8k miles on it since (no towing) and in May it began having issues. I had the stock stereo upgraded and immediately filled up with fuel afterwords because I was low. As soon as I pulled out of the gas station and stopped at a light, it stalled when I hit the accelerator and then finally went, blowing out a bunch of black smoke when it did (that had never happened before). It did this a few times and then it stopped and everything was fine again, it was probably driving smoother than it ever had after this issue. I assumed it was a combination of dirty fuel and dirty fuel filters (which I had intended to replace but had not gotten around to yet). Everything was fine for the next 2 weeks until I was returning from the store with the right size socket to replace the filter. The truck was struggling to accelerate at low rpms and then died on me in the middle of the road after I had come to a stop and tried moving forward again (there was no smoke during any of this). It restarted fine and I drove it back and immediately changed the filters (they were nasty, dark brown color, honestly looked like theyd never been changed). I filled up with fuel again and dumped seafoam into the tank to help clean out the injectors. The new filters have less than 100 miles on them but the truck still seemed to struggle to move from a standstill when I was stopped at lights. It didnt seem right so I took it to a diesel shop and asked them to look over it. They said it was a bad EGR valve so I had it replaced. Just got it back but the problem doesnt seem gone. I also smell diesel when I'm at a standstill and I now have blow by when I previously had none, and when I say none I mean not a trace. I have no idea what the problem is or if there even is a problem and its just in my head. No check engine lights have gone off at any point throughout any of this and I dont have a code scanner but will probably buy one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:44 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Re: 6.0 help

welcome to the forum!
weeeellllllll first off, you'll get a lot more traffic seeing your question if you post this in the 6.0 technical section.
but i'll get you started - yep gotta have a scanner or monitor. best bet is to get one of those bluetooth or wifi obd2 dongles that plug into your obd2 port - then download an app like Torque (android) or Obdfusion (apple)... and then look up a few particular engine parameters:
ICP, IPR, FICM voltage (both logic and main power), FICM Sync, and might as well be familiar with the system votlage and MAP.
and definitely see what pending codes there are... i can't imagine the truck not having at least some soft codes while it's acting up on you.

OR, sometimes people see me post and immediately stop in to see what mischief i'm up too... in which case they might actually know exactly what your next step is lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode