I need answers please - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bugman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I need answers please

I have a 2002 7.3 and it was smoking for a couple days then one day it was smoking really bad and had a loss in power. I brought it to autozone and it was clear of codes. As I was heading back home it started to knock and pulled it in driveway still smoking bad and shut it off. Replaced fuel filters and checked oil. Then went to start it again and it made a horrendous grinding noise. Now I go to start it and it just clicks and won’t do anything. Any ideas? I was going to get starter off and test it but don’t know where to go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 02:58 AM
PSN Newb

I would turn the engin by hand make sure its not locked up the knocking could be the injectors but id rule out it being a spun rod bearing first and go from there
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 08:03 PM
S&R Powerstroke

Re: I need answers please

Greetings. Sorry about your truck issues. I'm sure after you get through it all you will have a good running truck. Well first thing first make sure you got enough juice from the batteries to turn over the 7.3 over. Before condemning starter, check your batteries and charging system first. Possible fuel issues causing knocking, smoking and
lack of power. Possible fuel pump issues sucking in air. Possible injector or injector oring failure. Remove the fuel filter and inspect air in the fuel system while fuel pump
activated.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 08:08 PM
alleged moderator

what were the codes they cleared out of it?

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

it was 3 degrees out this morning replaced injectors a month ago went out and tried to start my 7.3 and its locked up where do i go from here
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 07:45 PM
PSN Local

Garage

Pull the glow plugs and turn over the motor to get the fuel out of the cylinders. I would say you had an o-ring go out or an injector fail. Where did you get your injectors?

XLT CCSB, 4x4, 3" Downpipe, 4" Exhaust (with CAT delete), 140V IDM Mod, TS6 Position Chip, K&N, Transmission built by State to state transmission in AZ
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

i had them rebuilt by a guy in california and he bench tested them and put new o-rings you think they went bad already
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 09:24 PM
PSN Veteran

It could be fuel or coolant, until you pull the glow plugs out and find out what is in the cylinders you won't know which way to go.

A O ring could of been cut when the injector was installed or there might be a bad injector cup. Lots of unknown.
HilhavenFarm likes this.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode