Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

What are my coil over front axle options for my early '99?

3K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  JAKE 
#1 ·
The following is my ultimate plan:

1) Wear out my expensive 37" tires.
2) Have my 20" Weld wheels painted flat black and some new 35" tires mounted.
3) swap my 4.30 gears w/ someone that has some 3.73s
4) pull my 4.5" blocks out of the rear springs and drop the truck down to what amounts to stock ride height or slightly higher than stock
5) Score a coil over Dana 60 front axle that turns and rides better and sell what is left of my lift.

So here is my question for the experts: Is the coil over Dana 60 a bolt on deal?

Also, I understand that the 2008 F450s have a wide kingpin inset front axle that allows them to turn on a dime. If possible, that would be the axle I would want. Does anyone know how to specifically recognize this axle over others or where to find one.

Thanks!

#3 ·
I'm pretty serious about this plan so we need to stay in touch as long as your local to TX.

I'll give you the 4.30 gears, as long as you come to Austin so we can spend the day swapping them out.

I HAVE to collect the other parts first however, especially the axle.

#5 ·
Unfortuanetly, I'm not local to TX right now, Im over in California, but I am going to be going to TX A&M for school next fall and could possibly be down there with the truck as soon as early June to see family (they are outside dallas but the drive isn't bad), but I'm sure by then you will have swapped them out already. If not though, I am very intereseted in a trade. If you wanted, we could just ship them to each other, but that would = down time on both sides. How much longer are your tires gunna last?

-Scott

#4 ·
So let me get this straight, you want to swap in a newer coilover suspension and front axle into your truck right? I'm gonna keep watching this, I would LOVE to do this swap.

#6 ·
A & M is only like 90 miles from here. I use to break my freakin' collarbone at TWS roadracing my motorcycles like 3 x a year in that god forsaken town.

I suspect it will take me months to gather up the parts to do this swap cause I want the 2008+ F450 axle and that will be rare. And my tires have lots of tread on them as well.

But I'm very serious about doing the swap.

#7 ·
05+ 450/550s have the "Super 60" with the increased width that gives you the awesome turning ability. They are just all over larger, larger width, larger knuckles, 10lug, etc...

Our 06 F-450 turns unbelievably tight.

And yes, you can swap in the 05-07 suspension fairly easily. Quite a few people have done this. You just need all the stock suspension and steering, unless you plan on a 4-link or something in which case you won't need all the stock stuff.

#8 ·
DC, that was really helpful but I have some more questiosn for ya.

You mentioned that the Super 60s come w/ a 10 lug. Is the 10 lug just an easily removable adaptor like the older versions? I want to reuse my existing 8 lug wheels.

Also, how much wider is this axle? Will it hang out way past my rear axle or what?

#11 · (Edited)
#12 ·
Thanks, cool info.

I want to upgade several components however. I want a Dana 60, I want the oversized 450 brakes, and I want a huge improvement in wheel cut.

I have cut outs and I easily clear my 37s on a 5.5" lift. I think w/ something equivalent to a 2" leveling kit I can clear. I want it lowish and wide. I have the power to pull 3.73s and I need the mpg help as well.

#14 ·
I have a 05 coil over front axle with 3.73's and also a frame cut with all brackets needed to do this swap. If you have 20's your good, you have to run atleast 17"s to use this axle because of the larger brakes. a f 450 and up use 19.5" rims that are 10 lug. I don'nt think you can just pull a adapter and run 8's on that axle, I could be wrong though. I would love to have the coil over set up , but I don't have money for new rims and the axle. I do have a sorce for new late model parts, but nothing so far on the 08 stuff. This could change in the comming months though.

Dan

#16 ·
i was kinda thinking that with the leaf springs out of the way they would turn better. ssb brakes would also help.

maybe not enough for your application , but better..am I wrong in this theory.
I really don't know much on the actual suspension setups.

#18 ·
other than the wider axle what other changes are on that supersteer axle? im gonna do some of the same things on my wifes rig in the coming years.

one thing to think of if you pull the 10lug adapters to put an 8 lug on how do your larger 10lug discs go back on the axle??? id imagine you might be able to have them drilled for an 8 possibly. or the other option would to see if you could get a set done custom.

another option is if its just the longer axle tubes and inner shafts you could get a set of the inner shafts off the super60 and send your axle to an axle shop and they can put your longer tubes in. theres lots of offroad shops that shorten them like when i had the hybrid toyota/d60 done for my rockcrawler which dynatrac did.

ive been lookin into what i can do on both my pickups to shorten the turning radius and untill i can get my wifes on coils or bags in the front im stuck.

#21 ·
how much does front axles normally run? at the local junkyard they have a 450 flat bed just sittin there for parts...front axle is still in it. i have been debating doing a front axle swap fpr a while but have no funds to do it. so its on the back burner for now.

#23 ·
I hope to be able to put a linked front under mine in the future, as wel as a linked rear with bags all around. Better ride quality and adjustable height and weight carrying. As for axles if I had to replace the stocker i would go for something like these. I plan on getting a set of the 44s for my crawler when I build it.

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/product.php?productid=2712&cat=693&page=1

#24 ·
i wider axle sure would be easier to build the axle brackets for the 4link too the obs axle is a pita to build a bracket on the drivers side.

that really makes me wonder how much it would be to lenthen our axle use the super60 inner shafts so you have a factory inner shaft

i love having the linked and bagged on my truck ill never have a truck on steel springs again.

i had 37's on my crawler and really liked that size

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.