Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

How much cetane booster to add?

14K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Aljay 
#1 ·
Alot of people have been telling me that the centane rating in california is very low, so I was going to start adding cetane booster. How much is good to add? When I look at the bottles of booster it says "for 10 gal of diesel add X amount of booster." However I want to know what the numbers are. Lastly, what brand of booster is good to use?

#3 ·
No body else has any input?

#6 ·
I bought some of that diesel kleen, but my tank is at 1/4 so i am going to put it in when i fill up. Thanks for the info.

#7 ·
Diesel engines run well with a cetane index from 40 to 55. Diesel fuels with a higher cetane index which have shorter ignition delays provide more time for the fuel combustion process to be completed. Hence, higher speed diesels operate more effectively with higher cetane number fuels. There is no performance or emission advantage when the cetane is raised past approximately 55. After this point, the fuel's performance hits a plateau. In the US diesel at the pump can be found in two cetane ranges: 38-42 for regular diesel, and 42-45 for premium. Premium diesel also may have additives to improve cetane and lubricity, detergents to clean the fuel injectors and minimize carbon deposits, water dispersants, and other additives depending on geographical and seasonal needs.

So yes, a cetane boost is a good thing but a diesel fuel additive with all the above mentioned additives is the best route to go IMO. I like using Schaeffer's Dieseltreat myself. At @ $6 a can it treats 125 gallons and adds a 5 point cetane boost.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/fuel_additives.html

#8 ·
Wow! Great info thanks. Someone had told me that Cali's cetane was about 35:shrug: that's why I wanted to know. I'm trying the diesel kleen mentioned above and it is supposed to add 7 points.

#9 ·
#10 ·
I'm about 4 hours from Sac. I hope they bring that down here...

#13 ·
Yup I already do that too. Why do you use grey in the summer?

#12 ·
the only thing to keep in mind is, higher cetan is also a little higher EGT and i know that for sure. The best way to go is to measure exactly the amount and get the best results.
The 6.0 needs some lubri. from the fuel so i checked and Howies has a new stuff called super clean or something like that.

#16 ·
What is the optimal cetan rating for a 7.3? If a person is using a fuel with higher BTUs will this also raise EGTs?

#15 ·
OK

#20 ·
the premium around here at one place is 47, thats all i run in our stuff. smells like the cetane booster is already in it and its only 3cents a gallon more.

#22 ·
Another vote for diesel kleen, i use the silver bottle and it says 8oz for 25 gals, so i put 8oz in when i fill up. Also i do this about once a month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.