Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Formula for finding injector CC's

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Arisley 
#1 ·
Alright its been awhile so im a little rusty and having a brain cramp. Isnt the formula for finding the volume of the fuel in an injector (plunger surface area x intensifier piston stroke) ??? I did this on a set of injectors i have and came up with some numbers that arent what i thought they were.

For example a stock BD530 injectors plunger surface area= .873in
and the intensifier piston stroke= .250in

.873x.250= .218cc's ???

Now am i missing a step or is this the number? I thought that the stock BD's were around 240-250ish???

Robert

#2 ·
I'm not sure if that is right, but you have to multiply the end by 1000 since they are classified by how much volume they expend in 1000 shots. Think you are using the right formula in bore X stroke, but I'm not savvy in the injector field.

#8 ·
okay. Looks like im going to be going over this with my college math professor tomorrow,

My caliper came up with a diameter of .278 of the plunger (B codes)
multiply that by 3.14 for the area .873in converted to millimeters and the outcome is 22.174mm not 39.59 :confused:

maybe this is getting anoying but i feel like im getting kicked in the nuts over this, Ha Ha.

Robert

#9 ·
Forget inches. Use your calipers and find the millimeters...

530 Plunger is 7.1mm in diameter, divide that by 2 and come up with the radius. 3.55mm... Multiply 3.55mm x 3.55mm and come up with 12.6025mm... Multiply 12.6025mm x 3.14 and come up with 39.57mm. Close enough

Do the same for A code plunger... 6.0mm divided by 2 equals 3.0mm... 3.0mm x 3.0mm equals 9mm. 9mm x 3.14 equals 28.26... Again, close enough

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.