Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

ZF6 tranny cooler?

9K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  doubledoor 
#1 ·
I'm planning a ZF6 swap into my 1995 F350 pretty soon.

Truck is my daily driver and we have a 5000 lb travel trailer we tow.

My plan had been to run a filter on the frame, from the filter to the factory cooler in the rad, then back to the tranny.

The more I thought about it recently, the more I thought about running just a filter, no tranny cooler.

I know the GM zf6 didn't run a cooler, and with aprox .5L traveling through a filter, it would provide a bit of cooling.

Is there any reason that I would have to run a cooler??? May run a temp gauge for piece of mind too...

Thanks
Bob

#4 ·
I was planning on using -6 and pushlock fittings to connect everything. I was kind of thinking the same thing, why risk a leak?

#7 ·
Ya, but it's funny the GM ZF6 does not have a cooler.. Given I don't tow 20 000 pounds or anything crazy like that, I'm not too worried

#8 ·
Barely any pressure runs thru those lines to effectively move enough fluid to cool it. Another way to look at it is there's so little pressure, that any fluid running thru the cooler will have PLENTY of time to exchange out it's heat into the cooler fins.

I'm not at all disagreeing that the OP's idea to put a canister filter right there at the frame wasn't a good idea... But I wouldn't bother going any further. What I might do tho is get myself an 08+ diff cover and hose clamp it to the filter body. You know, for extra cooling and looks. And put a Fram sticker on my back window.

#9 ·
Cooler is NOT in the rad. it sits alone. Never had a issue with mine leaking.

#11 ·
The plan is to install the ZF6 into a 1995 truck. I bet that the factory lines in a factory truck work great, but since the factory lines won't work for me, It would be all custom lines from the tranny to the cooler. I'm just wondering if there would be enough gain in doing this more than anything

#15 ·
Why was it done... Something else to bill for replacing? On heavy trucks I certainly could see it's use and would want one but a ZF6 is only so heavy...

It circulates with a little squirt pump on the input side so it's engine rpm range. Runs whenever the clutch is engaged.

It runs on Mercon ATF. No 90wt in it or the transfer case (if there is one).

#16 ·
they still had to increase the base vehicle price for the cooler and associated lines etc and it's definitely not a selling point like AC or adjustable seats LOL

so I doubt their angle was future repair revenue?

thanks for the explanation on the pump I knew it didn't run gear oil but wasn't sure how it circulated the ATF

#17 ·
To call it a 'pump' is very optomistic tho... If you unhooked the outpuit (to cooler) line and idled the truck in neutral the fluid would just run down the side of the case. Flat to the floor it *might* be enough of a stream to clear the end of the female fitting the line threads into.

I know from doing it... Didn't want to go too bullish on the frozen drain plug so I thought I'd be smart. Yeah.

#18 ·
My bad. You are right, it is in the bottom of the rad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.