Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

450 fuel mileage help

1K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  extremeauto 
#1 ·
I have a F450 with a flatbed that is used in wrecking service. it weights about 15000 pounds. THe truck is has a 7.3 auto 4x4. I an getting 10 miles to the gallon stock. added a superchip and mileage dropped to 8:(. Need some advice how to get better mileage..and hold off on the lose weight comments.. nothing else to cut off. also the superchip makes it sound like it wants to die when i come to a stop ( maybe a bad tuner)?

#5 ·
Intake and exhaust, gauges, then some Stage 1 singles 175/143, and Swamps programing.

#10 ·
definatly dp-tuner man.. I was getting 300 miles to a tank in city driving on stock and i tried my 140tune for a week and i got 354miles to the tank. Thats driving with some sense though. highway i was getting around 460miles 2 the tank. i was impressed. getting from NC to central PA on one tank helps alot.

#11 ·
What gears do you have in the diff?
I agree with the intake, exhaust and custom tunes.
I'd also consider a larger turbo, and maybe a shift kit.
Kinda hard to not work a truck with that much weight, so make it more efficient

#13 ·
Well, I was mainly asking the OP.
I'm guessing he has 4.56's or something to that effect. that much weight, even with an auto, he'd almost have to...
That would kill highway mileage... but be alot better around town.

#14 ·
Some 450's have 4:88's...... my 550 did......and there was no way to get any decent mpg's

My 450 now has 4:56..... Ive gotten up to 15mpg empty...Im probably closer to 9500lbs though...

15000 is heavy.....your going to have to drive awfully slow to stretch it!

#16 ·
My truck is pretty heavy also although not quite as heavy as yours. I think mine is over 10k. I have noticed the same thing with the chip. Fuel economy goes down with the tuning although some programs give better economy than others, but none of them seem to give better than stock. I am not sure that going with another chip will give you better economy. Going with a specialized tuner like DP has a number of other benefits over a generic tuner though.

Based on your fuel economy I would guess that you have 4.30 gears. The trucks with 4.88 gears often get quite a bit less than 10mpg with stock tuning. If you went to 4.10 gears, that might help a bit.

#17 ·
Man i get 10-12 mpg pulling 40000 gross, But its all up hill one way and down the other. I have 5" exhaust and tymar intake and a edge evolution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.