Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Totally New to 6.0 - Needs a Little Help

1K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  kellyrulzz 
#1 ·
I just (Finally) bought my first Super Duty - 2003 6.0 F250 King Ranch - I have wanted one FOREVER - Finally found a great deal !

Of course as soon as I did - Everyone told me that it will blow up any minute.. because it's the 6.0 - Whatever..

I am NOT a expert on Diesel Trucks - SO any advice is greatly appreciated -
Assume I am totally Green on the Subject ( I really am )

I am considering a Tuner to help Monitor and Help with Fuel Economy -( 1st Tank was 14.5 MPG) I will also be towing a 26' Pontoon Boat this summer - so a good tow set up is also needed. A friend Suggested a Edge Programmer since he has one on his Gas truck - I won't be racing the truck or going crazy.. (The Shelby keeps that market cornered) .. But I would like a good tuner to handle the items listed above..

As Stated I have a 03 F250 6.0 King Ranch with 72K miles -35's on the truck - And a additional Pillar mounted Inst Cluster for Boost and Fuel Pressure (Exh Temp doesn't seem to be hooked up) Someone also deleted the Cat
Otherwise -
I have no idea if anything else was done internally to the motor (Bulletproofing?) or anything else... Anyone have a easy way to tell?

Thanks in Advance for Any Help - Suggestions you can provide

See less See more
#2 ·
As far as tuners for a 6.0l I would go with SCT livewire. Basically a tuner and monitor, I am very happy with it and it seems to be the most referred programmer on this and many other sites.

#3 ·
Sct tuners are the only way to go on these trucks!
Drews custom tunes back road performance
4/5" exhaust
Coolant filter
Use only ford filters (fuel and oil)
5w40 t6 oil
Save up 3k and wait for the problems to start
Egr/oil cooler, head gasket/studs are your weak points I wouldn't mess with it until you start having problem. You will know!! Lol

#5 ·
Welcome to the world of 6.0. As stated above SCT is the only way to go for a tuner. For monitoring you have a lot of options I use an edge cs with egt add on probe. Regular maintenance with Ford filters and you should have years of use as long as you don't hot rod it. Enjoy your truck.

#7 ·
Scangauge2 is great basic monitor for the budget minded. Key is your coolant versus oil temps. This will give you some idea of how your engine is running. Just my routine for used vehicles - fresh oil with fileter (motorcraft) and fuelsfilters (motorcraft) which was mentioned previously.

#9 ·
Yes there is a way to see if your truck is studded or not. Just look at the heads and look for headbolts or headstuds .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.